All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice please! Anybody own a tablet?

+2
LyndaW
Eleanor
6 posters

Go down

Advice please! Anybody own a tablet? Empty Advice please! Anybody own a tablet?

Post by Eleanor Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:00 pm

I don't want to take my laptop into university, as it's big, bulky and heavy. I also wouldn't be able to fit it in the locker when I do practical work. So I've been looking at getting a tablet to take notes on.

Does anybody know what sort of thing I should be looking for? All I know so far is that it needs to have roughly 8 hours of battery life (or more!) and needs to be attachable/detachable with a keyboard.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Advice please! Anybody own a tablet? Empty Re: Advice please! Anybody own a tablet?

Post by LyndaW Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Wish I could help Eleanor, but I'm a technological dinosaur.

Whilst you wait for someone more knowledgeable - notebook and biro?
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Advice please! Anybody own a tablet? Empty Re: Advice please! Anybody own a tablet?

Post by Eleanor Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:27 pm

Of course! laughing The good ol' classic note-taking method is the one I'm using now, but it isn't really practical with the amount of travelling I have to do between lectures. It takes me anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes to get from one lecture to another on Mondays! laughing A tablet will be a lot more handy.

I'm totally clueless. tongue Will hopefully be popping into town next Thursday, though, to ask somebody at the tablet shop thingie.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:36 pm

We've got an ipad, but we don't have an app to take notes, and i don't think it would last 8 hours either sorry!
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:37 pm

We've got an ipad, but we don't have an app to take notes, and i don't think it would last 8 hours either sorry!
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:00 pm

Oh well - thanks anyway! happy

I saw one in Argos yesterday, which had 9 hours of battery life. I didn't want to get it though, even though I liked it, because I didn't really know what to look for.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:44 pm

I have a samsung galaxy note 8 & the battery lasts about 12 hrs before I charge it. Though I only use it for 4-5 hrs at the very most is does seem to keep charge far longer than my phone.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:06 pm

Thanks! happy How big is it, roughly?
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:41 am

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/mobile-phone/galaxy-note/galaxy-note/GT-N5110ZWAXSA

The site says its no longer available but it is available here. Dont know about there but it is a great note. I prefer it to my laptop. Though I do not know if you can attach a keyboard.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:06 pm

I have a cheapy 7" Prestigio tablet. Also works on Android, same as the Samsung note and costs a 1/4 of the price. It's 3 years old now and I have to charge it roughly every 6 hours if I use it as a book or play loads of games. They come with keyboards or you can type on the screen itself.
You will need to download a proper note taking app for it though.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:55 pm

Some good sugestions so far!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks happy

Most of the ones I've seen here come with Microsoft Works, or at least the student versions. I'll be popping into PC World on Thursday to ask what they'd recommend.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:43 am

Just go with the most basic one you can get. You can download loads of free apps and programs to suit your needs.

When my mum and myself bought our new laptops beginning of the year, the salesman was loading our cart with Microsoft office, anti-virusses, anti-malware etc etc etc ... (he gets commission on the sale) ... and I'm like: STOP dude! Why do I want to pay an extra R3000 - R4000 for this stuff when I can get them or their equivalent for free? He was not happy.
I have Kingsoft Office instead of Microsoft Office and it works exactly the same and is compatible with all documents.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:56 pm

All I really want is a tablet with a keyboard dock, a student-appropriate battery capacity and a portable size. I have one in mind, but I need to make sure I know what sort of thing to look for, re: storage capacity for the huge amount of notes I'll be taking.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:13 am

Just make sure it can take up to 32GB external memory and you should be ok. Also make sure they give you the OTG adapter so you can use a flashdrive/external hard drive. Gives you unlimited storage.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:40 am

It's been ordered from Argos - they're going to let me know when they have it in stock. Yes, it definitely has at least 32GB memory. I might have to purchase the adapter separately, but we'll see. happy

Thanks! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:36 am

What did you get?
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:47 am

Asus Transformer. Decent price, good memory, good battery life, keyboard and MS works included. It was also at a reduced price, as a part of the Argos sale, so I got a good deal on it! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:02 am

Asus is a decent brand. These days all electronics share parts so all you're buying is service (hopefully) and name.
As long as it does what you need it to.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:06 am

Yeah, from what I could see, Asus is a decent one happy I'm pretty clueless with technology, so I'm glad it's not some half-rate brand! tongue

All I'll really need it for is notes and Internet during lectures, so it should be fine! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down