All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some 'awwww' pics from Monday's animal work - plus a video!

5 posters

Go down

Some 'awwww' pics from Monday's animal work - plus a video! Empty Some 'awwww' pics from Monday's animal work - plus a video!

Post by Eleanor Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:45 pm

My little babies love

Some 'awwww' pics from Monday's animal work - plus a video! Temporary_zpsbdd5b11b
Sleepy time in their little hidey hole!

Some 'awwww' pics from Monday's animal work - plus a video! Temporary_zps49d1b2bd
Starting to wake up, looking to see what's going on.

Some 'awwww' pics from Monday's animal work - plus a video! Temporary_zps874c00a8
Big yawn and a scratch!

Some 'awwww' pics from Monday's animal work - plus a video! Temporary_zps127eca92
Hiding face to go to sleep in a bit of an awkward place... And the fur on my over trousers is chinchilla! laughing

Some 'awwww' pics from Monday's animal work - plus a video! Temporary_zps31db0870
Handsome boy!

Some 'awwww' pics from Monday's animal work - plus a video! F3d1c70e-d8b2-48d1-b190-cb794b76a8f8_zps49fa6a14
Some 'awwww' pics from Monday's animal work - plus a video! 8991b86c-6eb4-477f-8803-53765082f55e_zpsf7739a32
And this is the beautiful Sally, who's very friendly, shakes for attention and curls up to sleep on people's legs.

Observing behaviour and just generally getting to know them! Another little glimpse at a very sleepy Sally, at the end of the video. Also, a little glimpse of Alfred, the scruffy ferret with the bald patches, who bounced across to investigate the phone.

Ignore the chatter through the video - the others were trying to figure out how to distinguish between the three sables. I was just sitting quietly, with my phone, sneakily videoing my fluffies love Although I did pipe up with the first "Hello!" when one of the little guys crawled across my lap. happy The second "Hello!" was one of the other girls.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Some 'awwww' pics from Monday's animal work - plus a video! Empty Re: Some 'awwww' pics from Monday's animal work - plus a video!

Post by LyndaW Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:56 pm

Lovely photos and video Eleanor!

I admire your courage! My only contact with ferrets has been at the wrong end of a bite!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Some 'awwww' pics from Monday's animal work - plus a video! Empty Re: Some 'awwww' pics from Monday's animal work - plus a video!

Post by Eleanor Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:18 pm

To be honest, I was nervous when I first went in with them a couple of years ago. I think excitement and awe overpowers it. love They're such playful, sweet animals!

Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:39 am

Cuuuuutttteeee!!!! love I would love to have a ferret as a pet. They have so much personality.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:01 am

They're very dog-like! laughing Some day, I want to get two or three ferrets. Putting up with the stench would be worth it! tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:11 pm

We have Meerkat that are a bit 'ferrety' and they also stink!
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:10 pm

laughing The Meerkats on site are opposite the ferrets, so the smell's quite a cocktail! Not anywhere near as friendly, as they don't get any handling whatsoever, aside from medical.

The stench must run in the family! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:48 pm

Pity they're not tamer because most re very ticklish. I've met a few and all have them have curled up and laughed like a crazy if you scratch them under their armpits.
It sounds like they're mauling you but they're giggling-laughing.
To bloody cute. I might have a video somewhere.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:09 pm

I'll admit there have been times when I've wistfully wanted to touch one, but I'd sooner keep my fingers. laughing They're kept as close to their wild state as possible, right down to the huge outdoor sand enclosure and enrichment, so touching is a huge no-no. I find it hilarious when people 'ooh' and 'aah' over how sweet and fluffy they are, only to come back at feeding time to see them tearing mice and chicks in half. tongue

Very, very sweet little faces though! love They've always been perfectly friendly when I've gone into their enclosure to feed them, jumping up to place their paws on your leg, chattering. happy Just as long as you don't put your hands near them! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:45 pm

They're quite nasty, super powers fast and vicious. They attack and kill black mambas soooo.... yeah... keep your hands to yourself.

In Oudtshoorn (just over the mountain from me) they have a Meerkat walk. Mornings and evenings you can walk through the veld with a still pretty wild group. They tolerate humans but are completely self reliant.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:08 pm

Incredible, aren't they? Meerkats and mongooses are two of my favourite predators. So easy to see the resemblance between the two species. Those sweet, fluffy faces and inquisitive nature, with that terrifying feisty streak! laughing

To be honest, out of all of the species we have on campus, I'd say the meerkats and mongooses are among the most dangerous. We have plenty of venomous animals and large predators with huge teeth, but it's different. So graceful, as well! love
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:02 pm

Aww they are so cute.
Meerkats look so cuddly but David Attenborough's programme last week showed a wee meerkat having a scorpion for lunch, so yeah, I'd be keeping my fingers away happy
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:08 pm

laughing I watched that, as well!

Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:34 pm

Ohhhh, you are playing with ferrets! hug
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:49 pm

Mainly just letting them explore, while we documented their behaviour. I wish I'd gotten a video of them actually playing with us - hanging off of our hands by their teeth! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:51 pm

I love ferrets! love I would have 2-3 in a heart beat! My OH thinks they are rats on speed.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:53 pm

I plan on getting a few, some day. It'll have to wait until I have enough garden space to safely house them in an outdoor unit, though. tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:55 pm

I have to wait till I convince Con that they are wonderful little critters he will enjoy playing with.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:58 pm

Wonderful, bitey little critters! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:23 pm

Eleanor wrote:Wonderful, bitey little critters! laughing

Oh yes laughing
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:28 pm

I think it's funny when somebody gets ferrets and says, "Oh, it's fine! I'll teach them to stop biting!"

Errr... no. tongue Just no. laughing You'd have better luck teaching a fish not to swim!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:39 pm

I read an article on exotic pets and they specifically mentioned ferrets and skunks. They make great pets if you want something different but don't expect them to behave like a cat or a dog. They're wild animals and will defend against and not defer to humans.
One lady complained about how her skunk would not allow her anywhere near the fridge when he was active. She could only get stuff out when he slept rolling on floor
They can eat cat kibble and use a litter box but don't think of them as fluffy kittens !
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:41 pm

I just remembered - another lady's ferret would break into her cupboards and steal cookies, flour etc and hide them behind the fridge or under the beds and sofa. She was always finding stuff everywhere.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:52 pm

Exactly! They're only similar to dogs in cats in as much as they have similar levels of intelligence, so they will actively play with you. It's in every shred of their nature to bite hard, even in play!

And woe betide people who get them, thinking they'll play nicely with their rabbit/guinea pig/other small furry... laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down