All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anybody know...

5 posters

Go down

Does anybody know... Empty Does anybody know...

Post by Eleanor Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:32 pm

...how to get rid of a cough? laughing

No sooner had I gotten over my bad back, when I got a cold. The cold brought along a secondary infection in the form of laryngitis (which I just love saying - amazing word!). The painful throat has faded, but I'm left with a nasty dry cough. I usually get coughs easily anyway, but I wondered if anybody here has found any tricks to help!

I've been gulping back liquids by the gallon, mostly water or tea (green tea, white tea, ginger tea, etc.). Usually have honey with the tea, as well as lemon juice. Avoiding caffeine, taking cough medicine, tried Lockets and Soothers at the beginning. Soothers actually made it worse! laughing No humidifiers, but hot showers haven't worked.

To be honest, I think I know the answer before I've even posted this: Stop procrastinating, go to the doctor and get a damn inhaler! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Does anybody know... Empty Re: Does anybody know...

Post by LyndaW Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:07 pm

So sorry to hear that you have an ongoing cough situation Eleanor!

When I have been in like condition, I swear by Corvonia Bronchial Balsalm (Original). It is strong, hits the spot and takes the cough away (until the next dose). Unusually for me I get quite tough with the chemist assistant gestapo with all their questions and say "that is what I want, gimme it or I will go elsewhere".

But I'm not a doctor, so if you are asthmatic and need an inhaler then you know where to go!

Get well soon Eleanor hug
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:18 pm

laughing I can imagine you saying that to the chemist, as well! I'll try having a look for that tomorrow - thanks! hug

I've been meaning to get an inhaler for several months now. I had quite bad asthma, although not life-threatening, as a child. It only really bothers me now if I have an allergic reaction to things like dust particles, a cold/cough or if I'm around certain animals. Now, considering I'm doing a course where a lot of my time is spent around a large variety of animals, this can get annoying! laughing Especially as I'm actually allergic to dogs, in particular! So I really should get an emergency inhaler, even if I never need to use it.

Thanks for the advice! happy Out of interest, how long do you find that each dose of the Corvonia lasts?
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:36 pm

How long is a bit of string - until the next coughing fit takes me!

However thank heavens I am not asthmatic, so I'm back-pedalling from my "squash the cough flat" remedy and recommending that you see your doctor and get the asthma sorted out. Please?
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:12 pm

I'll try it and see what happens! happy

hug The cough itself this time isn't asthma. It's just the back end of the laryngitis. But I will go to the doctor anyway, as I'll need to be prepared for our hydrotherapy and grooming sessions in a couple of weeks! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:21 pm

Eleanor had infantile asthma as a young child, and although she rarely gets a problem nowadays, when she does it often shows itself as a cough.

Something else she takes after me for! Sorry Eleanor!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:40 pm

Sorry to butt in Caryll.

I have very little experience of asthma and have lungs of leather from smoking for 50 years. So when on the rare occasions I get a cough (whether wet or dry) I go for the Corvonia Bronchial Balsalm Original in my usual cavalier fashion as I know from long experience that it is soothing, gasp-takingly strong, and stops the cough.

I would not have mentioned it if I knew there was a history of asthma - please Eleanor take your doctor's advice and not mine! Meanwhile a lemon, honey and glycerine syrup from your local friendly pharmacist will do no harm.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:51 pm

I have what used to be called a "weak chest". I used to get some horrific coughs (still do on occasion) but it's only in recent years that a doctor told me that it's a type of asthma!

The only thing that works for me is codeine (which is a cough suppressant) in the form of Solpadeine Max. There used to be a homeopathic cough elixir which helped a little, but they don't do it any more. sad

Over the years I've tried just about everything! laughing
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:02 pm

I never knew that codeine, apart from being a painkiller, is also a cough suppressant. We're never too old to learn!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:32 am

For me, I have had severe bronchitis & a punctured lung, I've been in hospital trying to get air in, it's no fun... no medicine has worked since I was about 5yrs. The only thing that works for me is going into cold air during a coughing fit, staying there. As I freeze & shake, my coughing subsides. It is the only way for me when I cough that much.

I do hope you find what works for you. It is awful when you can't stop coughing.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:02 am

I was struggling with a persistent cough due to Hayfever and the constant bloody sinus drip. I went through about 10 different bottles of cough mixture, suppressants, you name it.
In the end I Googled and chucked everything together - It worked surprisingly well and was delicious.
Chamomile tea bags, fresh ginger, fresh lemon and honey.
Chop up the ginger, slice the lemons and chuck into a teapot or jug along with the teabags. Let steep. Sweeten to taste with the honey.
I made a strong concoction in 2 liter batches.
Kept it in the fridge and drank it like iced tea or just popped a mug full into the microwave.
I'd have a glass/mug and not cough for an hour or 2.

Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:05 am

It's okay - I'll definitely go to the doctor hug Don't worry! I'm not dying yet! laughing

And I'll try the chamomile/honey/ginger/lemon. happy I have actually been having ginger tea, as I always have a fresh supply of ginger root in the freezer, usually with honey and lemon. I'll see if your concoction helps! Thanks!

Ugh. That must have been a nuisance, Tracy! Though I don't think cold air would be particularly good for me, due to asthma. It triggers wheezing, which I've thankfully not had a problem with this time! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:25 am

When I have a bout,  the only thing I look for is outside at night in the cold or turn on the air con & sit infront of it. Though I have severe bronchitis not asthma.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:57 am

I have to be quite careful with things like that. Going out into cold air just causes shortness of breath for me, until I get used to the temperature change. It's once I go back into warm air that my airways start to constrict. Same goes for fans or fan-heaters, as I found out last winter! laughing If the air gets too dry in my bedroom, it triggers it.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum