All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shutting a Dog Down

5 posters

Go down

Shutting a Dog Down Empty Shutting a Dog Down

Post by Caryll Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:30 am

Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Shutting a Dog Down Empty Re: Shutting a Dog Down

Post by Lorraine Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:25 pm

Very interesting! I have seen it at agility training - makes me sad. I haven't got a competitive bone in my body, so there's no worries that my dogs will suffer that way.
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:00 am

Good find.
I'm sitting here thinking on my dogs ... Lequita you can shut down by just moving or saying something she wants to interpret as negative. She's a weirdo but my mum did something wrong with her as a pup to have caused this.
The rest ... I wonder what I would have to do to shut them down.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:23 pm

There is a lot of truth to this in my opinion yet no? It really depends on the dog. Nature, puppy or past experiences.

Tyson shuts down if you raise your voice, show disappointment in him or tell him off. It is not something he deals with at all well. Yet he was raised exactly as Jess was.

Jess & Boris... I have no idea what would shut them down. They were too strong willed & couldn't give a rats a22 about anything. They both did agility, scent training etc & had a ball.. if Jess got it wrong, (Jessie, argh, no, left, round!) She tried hard to get it right, but ...no worries mum... next obstacle... I'll go again. Nothing ever shut them down. I think it really comes down to the dog.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:38 pm

Lexi lives in shut down lol shes always been a bit of a nervous dog even as a pup - she doesn't like being shouted at or told to do anything no matter the method of asking. She will howver run to her bed at night because she knows shes getting a treat for it so that works (never did with me!!!!!! dad taught her this one!!!!! angry angry angry angry )
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum