All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog Drives Tractor Onto Motorway!

5 posters

Go down

Dog Drives Tractor Onto Motorway! Empty Dog Drives Tractor Onto Motorway!

Post by Caryll Wed May 20, 2015 10:37 am

DogWorldNewspaper wrote:

Dog drives tractor onto motorway

Created: 13/05/2015

A BORDER Collie caused a traffic tailback when he decided to jump into a tractor and ‘drive’ it onto a motorway.

The dog, Don, got into the vehicle when his owner was not looking and trundled down an embankment to the M74 after leaning on its controls.

Tom Hamilton, 77, who always has Don sitting in the passenger seat of the tractor with him, was tending to a lamb in a field next to the motorway when he saw the tractor shoot across the field, through a fence, down the embankment and plough across a carriageway.

It came to a halt when it crashed into the central reservation, breaking the windscreen. Luckily, drivers managed to avoid the runaway vehicle and Don survived his journey.

Police, who had been called to the scene by worried motorists, found the four-year-old dog safe and well.

They cleared the motorway, near Abington in South Lanarkshire, within half an hour, and Don was reunited with his owner at his nearby farm.

“I hadn’t put the handbrake on the tractor and when I turned round I got a fright as the vehicle was careering down the hill,” Mr Hamilton said.

“Don was fine and didn’t seem to make any sound during the incident. I’m so relieved no one was hurt.”

The public were alerted to the unusual scene by Traffic Scotland who tweeted that there was a road traffic incident ‘due to dog taking control of tractor’.

This prompted many more tweets including: ‘Will the dog have points on his licence? Was he breathalysed? Did police arrest him?’, and ‘At present police have no leads’.

Later Traffic Scotland declared it ‘the weirdest thing we have ever reported’.
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Dog Drives Tractor Onto Motorway! Empty Re: Dog Drives Tractor Onto Motorway!

Post by LyndaW Wed May 20, 2015 8:49 pm

Sheesh. Memo to Tom: the handbrake is there for a reason, engage it! And if you park on a slope and can't trust your dog not to meddle, also engage a gear as appropriate to prevent inadvertent freewheeling (further details available if this is difficult to understand).

Thank heavens no-one was hurt.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Thu May 21, 2015 8:26 am

I was away for the weekend when we first had Uther.  Hubby took him with him when he went to see his mother - Morgan was in the back of the car, and Uther was on the backseat in a harness attached to the seatbelt.

Hubby & MIL went shopping, leaving them in the car parked in a multi-story car-park, on their return an hour later, they came across a commotion as someone was blocking the exit of the car park.  The realisation slowly dawned on them that it was they that were blocking the exit.  Uther had undone the seatbelt and let off the handbrake, the car had gently rolled to a stop across the exit, luckily hitting nothing in its path; of course no-one would go near the car as there were a very barky couple of GSDs in it.

Hubby got a rollicking for leaving Uther in the car in the first place!
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu May 21, 2015 9:36 am

Oh, dear! I bet hubby was in the dog house? laughing
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu May 21, 2015 12:44 pm

rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor

That is hilarious Lorraine. Of course only because nothing serious happened but I can just imagine your hubby's face!
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Thu May 21, 2015 2:24 pm

Bet you can imagine mine too when he told me that he'd left the pup that we'd had for less than 24 hours alone in the car............
Lorraine
Lorraine

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon May 25, 2015 4:19 pm

angry x 1000?
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue May 26, 2015 5:38 am

Thats freak'n hysterical Lorraine!  I had 2 rotties.

At training, it was common for us all, .... one was in the car, one on the field. Everyone watched the dogs in cars when not training, but it was late, often cold or damn freezing some nights.... My little bub, Boris, (about 3 yrs then) learnt that if he could get into the front of the car, (I have never used crates in a car, nor house) get into the drivers seat, & pushed his paws in the middle of the wheel, the horn went off & his mum came a running back to him! rolling on floor ( though I did park it in rev on a downward slope with the handbrake on.) everyone at school used to joke.... you got 10-15 mins with Zac till Boris sounds the siren. (As they stood by my car counting.... 10, 9, 8, 7).....Damn dog! rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor

He didnt like to wait for his turn on the field.... come get me NOW mum! tongue
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Tue May 26, 2015 7:48 am

Shisa wrote:angry  x 1000?

Yes! That's about it!
Lorraine
Lorraine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Tue May 26, 2015 7:49 am

tracyp wrote:

He didnt like to wait for his turn on the field.... come get me NOW mum! tongue

He knew what he wanted, and he knew how to get it! How can you blame him! laughing
Lorraine
Lorraine

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue May 26, 2015 8:57 am

Do you know how many times I ran to the car with a red face. Arghhhhh... Boris! Stop! Get in the back!!!
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue May 26, 2015 10:23 am

tracyp wrote:Do you know how many times I ran to the car with a red face. Arghhhhh... Boris! Stop! Get in the back!!!

rolling on floor rolling on floor
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum