All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

He did it again

4 posters

Go down

He did it again Empty He did it again

Post by LyndaW Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:45 pm

Kuchar ran away.

It was my fault. Kuchar HATES walking in the rain (he digs his heels in and won't move unless it's back home) and it was belting it down this morning. I shoved him out the back door - "ugh it's raining" turn tail and back indoors. However, Kuchar always believes that the weather will be different out the front so I showed him. Open the front door, see the pelting rain ... I had my arms around him but like a greased eel he was out. I was calm - he'll feel the pelting rain which he hates and race back home like he usually does "Kuchie kuchie, come here baby".

Little git. He set off as if Old Nick was on his tail. Stopping only to pull on some wellies and get a treat and his lead I set off in pursuit. I amazed myself as to how I kept on his trail, I even ran for a few yards. Every time he stopped and looked back at me he resumed running away from me, despite my most friendly calls.

After a million years he ran up the drive of a house that was being worked on in some way by three workmen. Please can you help me catch my dog I gasped (Kuchar is always over-friendly to strangers, an encouraging word from one of them and he could have grasped him by the scruff). A weak giggle and "we'll get out of your way" was the response. I pursued Kuchar into the back garden, he had disappeared through the open patio doors. Not caring any more, I went into the house. Kuchar fled through the open kitchen door and THANK GOD one of the men had had the sense to close the garden gates and shut off his access to the open roads. By this time Kuchar had gone back through the patio doors and I finally ran him to earth in the master bedroom - I shut the door and captured him. Full of praise and love of course and the treats, but I could have happily strangled him.

Fulsome thanks to the workmen (although the only help albeit a BIG one was shutting the gates)

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

He did it again Empty Re: He did it again

Post by Caryll Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:09 pm

Oh, dear, Kuchar, you ARE naughty!

You must have been terrified, Lynda, in case he ran into the road!
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:57 am

Yes Caryll he is very very naughty to put it mildly.

Yes I was terrified and yes he did run blindly across roads but thanks to the grace of God there were no cars at that moment in time.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:39 am

I'm surprised that he doesn't come back, though - I thought his recall was quite good?

I supose it's the heat of the chase. I honestly don't know what to sugest, other than a double front door - you know, one of those small porch areas.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:22 pm

His recall is quite good whilst on a long lead, and very good in the house. But off lead ......... when I get close enough I can see the devilment in his face. I've tried turning my back, calling him cheerily but he just goes Wahay! I'm free! and runs away as fast as he can.

I've got a porch and enclosing it with another door is a nice idea but not feasible unless I win the Lotto, unfortunately.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:49 am

Oh, Lord, he's a pain isn't he?

I know that "I'm free!" look - I've seen it many times on Dempsey's face. What's Kuchar like with treats, will they entice him? If so, it might be worth leaving a couple (high up) by the front door...just in case?
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:51 pm

Such a naughty boy! Glad you managed to catch him without too much trauma, no doubt the worst was running through your mind as you were running through the rain.
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:14 pm

Sorry I didn't answer you Caryll. Kuchar likes his treats but not enough to entice him back to me when freedom is his! My only hope is to corner him somewhere (like that man's bedroom!) Or that he sees another dog or person and starts "bothering" them. Although 99% of the time the people keep walking (away) and even kick at Kuchar. This amazes me - I know he's a Staffie but honestly ......

And yes Lorraine, he's got no road sense and the roads round here are busy.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:20 pm

Oh what a little...word....!

Billy is a bit like this. Won't listen to a word you say. I've given up now so he doesn't get to wander in fields etc. On a path, he will walk so far then come back to check in, and if he goes out of sight he will run back and wait until he sees you. To catch him though i have to walk away and he runs after me thinking im going another direction and i grab him lol i only ever chance that in the forest where there is noone about and the beach where noone is really either.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:42 pm

He's horrible! I love him to bits, he's a perfect dog in many ways, but like all men cannot be trusted not to misbehave! rolling eyes
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:59 pm

laughing
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down