All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog Walking Etiquette

2 posters

Go down

Dog Walking Etiquette Empty Dog Walking Etiquette

Post by Caryll Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:22 am

Many people think that, if they have a friendly dog, everybody else’s dog is friendly as well.

WRONG.

Not every dog is friendly, just as not every owner wants their dog to play with yours! How many times have you heard somebody shout (as their dog comes bowling, completely out of control, up to yours) “It’s ok, he’s friendly!” Yours may be friendly, but he may not be. Or even if he’s friendly, he may prefer to be introduced calmly to another dog first.

So here are a few tips to make dog walks happier, more relaxed and safer;

1. Keep your own dog under full control at all times - that way nobody can say that an altercation is your fault.
By ‘under control’ I don’t mean constantly on a lead. Just make sure you know how far you can let him go before he stops listening to you. Work on his recall and train him to ‘stay’ on the first ask. If necessary use a 30’ or 50’ training line (readily available on ebay for less than £10 http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.X50%27+training+lead&_nkw=50%27+training+lead&_sacat=1281&_from=R40) so that if he ignores you, you can bring him back (always use a harness with a long training lead).

2. If you see someone with a dog you don’t know, call your dog back & put him on a lead.
If you want them to play, ask the other owner first.

3. If you have a dog aggressive dog (DA for short) or a dog reactive dog (DR for short), then practice staying calm and be ready to warn the other owner in a polite but firm voice, “Mine isn’t friendly, please call your dog away”, or “Mine doesn’t like dogs jumping around him, please put yours on the lead so they can be introduced”. Also, if your dog is DA or DR, consider getting an orange harness that says “No dogs” (available on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FASTEST-SELLING-NEW-DOGGIE-TREND-LARGE-DOGS-HARNESS-COLLAR-LEAD-LEASH-/171150408283?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&var=&hash=item27d95bfa5b#ht_6178wt_1006) on it so that people can see that they shouldn’t let their dog approach.

4. Don’t allow your dog to bound straight up to another dog at any time unless you know that they are 100% happy with each other, especially if the other dog is on a lead. Always ask the other owner if their dog is friendly & would they like to play?

5. If you notice play is getting a little out of hand, step in and calm it down for a minute or so, and ask the other owner to do the same. Maybe walk the dogs on lead for a few metres to calm the adrenalin.

6. Remember that the health of your dog and the other dog could be compromised by not following these simple procedures.
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Dog Walking Etiquette Empty Re: Dog Walking Etiquette

Post by Eleanor Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:25 am

thumbs up I do wish that people would use common sense on walks! Great information!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:35 am

If anyone has anything they'd like to add, just let me know!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:53 am

I can't think of anything you haven't already mentioned happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down