All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you couldn't have a dog, what pet would you have?

4 posters

Go down

If you couldn't have a dog, what pet would you have? Empty If you couldn't have a dog, what pet would you have?

Post by Eleanor Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:01 pm

I'd probably get a hedgehog, ferret or llama. tongue

Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

If you couldn't have a dog, what pet would you have? Empty Re: If you couldn't have a dog, what pet would you have?

Post by Caryll Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:09 pm

Hedgie!!!!! love 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

If you couldn't have a dog, what pet would you have? Empty Re: If you couldn't have a dog, what pet would you have?

Post by ella Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:23 pm

haha well i've had hedgies happy and a lot of things, but i'd still love one day to have a bengal cat or racoon!
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:35 pm

I'm a bit iffy on raccoons, tbh. I definitely don't think they should have revoked the license that was necessary to own one a few years back, as people have now gone out and bought them, only to realise how difficult and wild they are and let them loose in the UK. sad I suppose that falls under the usual though - people don't research before they buy animals, the same that happens with a lot of dogs.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:45 pm

same with everything, i don't think snakes should be as easy to come by as they are, especially the larger constrictors like burms and retics
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:49 pm

Agreed! With great power comes great responsibility - it applies to powerful animals too. I know a lot of people think licenses are ridiculous, but it's something that I support with dangerous or (some) exotic animals. I hate that websites such as Gumtree are allowed to sell these animals as well. straight face
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:56 pm

exactly, i have no problem with licences if properly assessed and maintained, and think more animals should come under some sort of licence (or similar)
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:59 pm

That's another problem - very often, somebody without a license can get away with owning a restricted animal. The initial check-up for somebody applying for a license may be fine as well, but that's not to say they'll maintain good standards.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:08 pm

Exactly my point, and IMO there are a lot that don't keep up good standards and health and safety because for one it's a ball ache and two it really isn't cheap!
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:13 pm

Yep! Anybody with an ounce of sense should realise that there's a reason it isn't cheap to take care of an animal! They're living, breathing and sometimes dangerous.

Sadly, things can get bad when they introduce new licenses as well. sad Look at the Dangerous Wild Animals Act! They introduced that, so hundreds of people in the UK decided they didn't want to take responsibility and pay, and let dangerous animals loose on moorlands.

laughing Love how the topic's evolved from hedgehogs to dangerous wild animal licensing!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:15 pm

Yep no matter what there will always be people who keep animals illegally as licences are to expensive or when laws get changed can't be arsed to pay more or change so the animals suffer or get turfed out!

Well you know what we are like laughing
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by CodlingKid Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:24 pm

A Llama laughing I'd love a few Sugar Gliders! I think they're mega cute, though they smell really bad laughing
CodlingKid
CodlingKid

Names of Dogs : Ebony & Charlie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:36 pm

ella wrote:Yep no matter what there will always be people who keep animals illegally as licences are to expensive or when laws get changed can't be arsed to pay more or change so the animals suffer or get turfed out!

Well you know what we are like laughing

The animals always seem to suffer in the end! sad

laughing A bunch of crazies, we are!

CodlingKid wrote:A Llama :lol:I'd love a few Sugar Gliders! I think they're mega cute, though they smell really bad laughing

I've loved llamas, ever since I worked with a particularly nasty one on my course! laughing

Sugar Gliders are amazing! happy So weird, but really graceful!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by CodlingKid Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:40 pm

I know!! The ones at my college were so bitey, and they pooed on everyone so I don't know why I like them really laughing

Llamas are pretty cool though - have you seen Napoleon Dynamite? happy
CodlingKid
CodlingKid

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:45 pm

Ours was seriously bad-tempered, bless her. I think she may have been abused before she arrived there. sad Extremely head-shy.

Did they ever spit at you? laughing The alpacas didn't really spit at us, but the llama was always doing it!

I haven't - what's it about?
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by CodlingKid Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:48 pm

Oh I meant the Sugar Gliders were bitey and pooed on everyone!! laughing laughing we didn't have many large animals like that at our college, though they are sweet in petting zoos - I've never been pooed on or bitten by one anyway wink

It's just a really funny film, the guy has a pet Llama wink
CodlingKid
CodlingKid

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:52 pm

Oh, right! laughing Yeah, the Sugar Gliders at ours never really pooed on people, but they did nip! tongue I've mainly been peed on, rather than pooed on.

I might look it up at some point! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum