All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Really sweet, but sad, article

2 posters

Go down

Really sweet, but sad, article Empty Really sweet, but sad, article

Post by Eleanor Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:40 am

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/17/our_diy_euthanasia_letting_go_of_the_dog_who_rescued_us/

A normal person's account of rescuing a dog and him rescuing her, from start to finish. It's really touching! Especially this part:

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/17/our_diy_euthanasia_letting_go_of_the_dog_who_rescued_us/ wrote:When the time came — and it always comes — my husband knew what he wanted to do. He purchased two of his favorite burgers from the local sports bar — Kevin’s at Mike’s Place III — and brought them home, locked away the other dogs. He and Nemo shared a meal together on the floor by the wood stove. It was a cold spring evening.

I cradled Nemo’s head in my lap and felt the rise and fall of his chest with one hand. My husband shaved a small rectangle into his fur. I felt sorry for Nemo and sorry for myself. Maybe, to some people, it sounds silly to care so much for an animal, precious even, but each of us knows what we look for in friends and loved ones, and where we find it.

My husband was sad but calm. He has more data than most of us do about where that gray line of mercy is, not that it made the moment any easier. “Are you ready?” he asked.

The answer will never be yes. There is the constant pain of being an animal rescuer, of loving so many, so hard, and losing them so often.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Really sweet, but sad, article Empty Re: Really sweet, but sad, article

Post by Caryll Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:33 pm

Oh, that's so sad! But he had a wonderful life with them!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:36 pm

It's nice that there are people around, willing to take in the 'unwanteds'.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down