All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog lead rules enforced - what do you think?

+2
Caryll
Eleanor
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dog lead rules enforced - what do you think? Empty Dog lead rules enforced - what do you think?

Post by Eleanor Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:05 pm

http://www.u.tv/News/Dog-lead-rule-enforced-at-Stormont/e9f6d3b7-85e9-4e09-aced-4b09b130ce4f

To be honest, I think they're directing their anger at the wrong people. Blame the owners who allowed their dogs to run riot off lead. Owners have to realise that they're not the only ones who matter - other people have a right to use the estate safely.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Dog lead rules enforced - what do you think? Empty Re: Dog lead rules enforced - what do you think?

Post by Caryll Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:02 pm

Whatever they think, the law's the law. They have to abide by it. If irresponsible people hadn't allowed their dogs to run riot, the law wouldn't have been put in place to start with.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Dog lead rules enforced - what do you think? Empty Re: Dog lead rules enforced - what do you think?

Post by Eleanor Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:16 pm

Exactly.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:58 am

There's always a few people making everyone else's lives difficult.
Here in Mossel Bay dogs are not allowed on beaches but so many people take their dogs as it's so much fun the municipality has now allowed a trial period where certain beaches are open to dogs; with some rules (logical stuff: clean up your dogs mess, keep them on lead, don't let them be a nuisance to other people) and still some idiots just disregard everything and do what they want. Aggressive dogs running loose, dogs bothering sunbathers and marking cooler boxes, poop not being scooped.
It's pure selfishness.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:06 pm

That's the problem, isn't it Theresa, the few making it impossible for the majority! angry 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:15 pm

What really gets to me is the age old, "I can let my dog off lead because he's friendly!"

No. Just no. It's not about whether or not your dog is friendly; it's about keeping him under control in a public area, which means using a lead. It's about allowing members of the public to enjoy the area without worrying about dogs running all over the place, peeing up their belongings, bouncing over to them and generally just being a nuisance.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:27 pm

You are all so right - it's the selfish few who think rules don't apply to them who spoil it for everybody.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:48 am

It's also not about your dog being friendly, it's about the dog they're charging up to being friendly.

Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:42 am

As always, Lynda. sad

And yes, it's something that those same selfish people don't take into account. Not every dog likes being jumped all over by other dogs.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:33 am

Shisa wrote:It's also not about your dog being friendly, it's about the dog they're charging up to being friendly.

How many times have I heard the immortal words "It's ok my dog's friendly" as they run, full pelt towards Dempsey who's putting on a lovely show of impending aggression! angry 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:49 am

Too many times!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:28 pm

Tbh having been there many times, it is a good thing. The grounds, although extensive, are not actually that large. There is a very fast very busy main road just out the gates and the road in the gounds is used fairly a lot by tourists, walkers, kids etc. In my opinion there is too much happening to have dogs off lead. Its TOO public.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:44 pm

Good point Hayley - safety has to come into it as well!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:54 pm

Frankly its somewhere i always thought that leads should be mandatory. It's also the gov building! I don't see people walking dogs about westminster lol
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:55 pm

TBH every time I see an off lead dog my heart goes into my mouth because I never know whether or not it is going to run over to Buster and Gus who are both DA. While it is a shame for people with the type of dogs who completely ignore other dogs all the time - at least they can find somewhere else that is not a public attraction to walk. I would be quite happy and unconcerned to see an off lead dog if I knew it was under control and not going to approach but unfortunately many dogs are off lead and out of control because the owners are lazy.
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:00 pm

Wendy wrote: unfortunately many dogs are off lead and out of control because the owners are lazy.

That's so true!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:13 pm

Lexi is DA but over the last few years has gotten less so, due to age i assume. I used to hate walking her anywhere near other dogs cause i felt so scared of what would happen. Now i am deffo more confidant with her and know shes chilled out more so i enjoy walking more. But other dog owners just don't know how inconsiderate it is and how it makes US feel.. its like letting the dog run up to a kid who has just been attacked by a dog and is terrified..and saying "its okay its friendly"

Doesn't matter if it is friendly!
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:19 pm

That's another reason I got the 'space' vest for Dempsey.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:26 pm

Anyway here's a laugh - a few years ago Buster and I were coming back from a walk and got to a path near to some houses. In the distance I could see a black and white rabbit lolloping about on the grass so I stopped and stood still. There was a group of children nearby so I shouted at them 'Is that anybody's rabbit?' A little boy of around 10 said 'Oh, no. It's my Grandma's rabbit - it's got out again!'. So I said 'Ok then, I'll wait here while you catch it.' Then a girl of about 13 shouted 'No! you can just go past it - it's a FRIENDLY rabbit'!  laughing 
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:10 am

laughing honestly though some of those bastards are vicious!
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:31 am

laughing laughing laughing 

That made my morning!!
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:38 pm

Hayley wrote:laughing honestly though some of those bastards are vicious!

they are indeed! I often wonder why they are promoted as a child's pet, because I personally think they are anything but ideal. My son came home one night with a rabbit he had found hopping around the streets (not a wild one). I mocked up a little enclosure for it in the utility room; made it all cosy with shelter, bedding, food and water. Next day I went to feed it again and change its water and it ran at me - all teeth and claws, there was no getting near it all day or the next without risking life and limb, not even when that limb was giving it food. I'm afraid that I got the RSPCA to take it away  sad 
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:51 pm

Wendy wrote:'No! you can just go past it - it's a FRIENDLY rabbit'!  laughing 

laughing  laughing 

LyndaW wrote:  Next day I went to feed it again and change its water and it ran at me - all teeth and claws, there was no getting near it all day or the next without risking life and limb, not even when that limb was giving it food.  I'm afraid that I got the RSPCA to take it away  sad 

covering eyes 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:54 pm

Yeah I know Caryll, but what else could I do? He was a really, really vicious bunny
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:18 pm

Oh, I don't blame you!

My oh had a huge white rabbit called Ralph. He was already quite old when I first saw him, but even then he used to chase my sister in law's border collie out of the garden! You didn't cross him if you were sensible!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next