All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woman fights off 15-foot Burmese python to save her dog's life

+2
Wendy
Eleanor
6 posters

Go down

Woman fights off 15-foot Burmese python to save her dog's life Empty Woman fights off 15-foot Burmese python to save her dog's life

Post by Eleanor Mon May 12, 2014 5:45 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2626053/Dog-walker-uses-pocket-knife-fight-15-foot-python-tried-kill-mongrel.html

Very glad the dog is recovering. Might sound strange to some, but I hope the snake recovers quickly as well. Obviously the owner did what she had to do to defend her dog, but I still hope it's okay. happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Woman fights off 15-foot Burmese python to save her dog's life Empty Re: Woman fights off 15-foot Burmese python to save her dog's life

Post by Wendy Mon May 12, 2014 7:52 pm

I can just imagine how scary it was!
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Woman fights off 15-foot Burmese python to save her dog's life Empty Re: Woman fights off 15-foot Burmese python to save her dog's life

Post by Caryll Mon May 12, 2014 7:52 pm

Wow, scary! It doesn't actually say what happened to the snake, though. I'm glad the dog made a full recovery. happy 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon May 12, 2014 8:07 pm

Very frightening. I suppose we'd all do whatever we can to save our dog when in trouble (which is why so many people get drowned trying to save their dogs).

I am supposing that the python was a wild one, although I never would have supposed that they were wild in Hong Kong. But then I thought they didn't bite either (until Ella informed us otherwise) and this poor dog was obviously bitten quite severely.

If, in the very unlikely (thank heavens) event that I found a constrictor snake coiled around my dog - and being without a handy pocket knife - I would try to uncoil the snake. I wonder if this would work and how strong they are compared to a human.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon May 12, 2014 8:15 pm

They're immensely strong, Lynda. A snake that size is almost 100% muscle!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon May 12, 2014 8:21 pm

Whereas I'm almost 5% muscle. I see the problem.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon May 12, 2014 8:30 pm

Yeeees, I think my muscle mass is probably about the same as yours.....no contest, really. If I lived anywhere where a boa was likely to strike I'd carry a machete around with me. shocked 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon May 12, 2014 9:34 pm

There are some advantages at living in the UK  happy Minimal lurking constrictors.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon May 12, 2014 9:38 pm

Yes, it isn't something you'd expect to see in the English countryside!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon May 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Yes, unfortunately, their bite can cause serious injury! In regards to unwinding the snake, it can work if you try to unwind the tail. However, they're extremely strong and will have anchored themselves with a bite. There's also the hazard of the snake then coiling around you as well, which has happened before. In areas where constrictors are common, people often carry small bottles of rubbing alcohol, which can be used in an emergency to fend off the snake.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue May 13, 2014 8:50 am

Yes they bite to hold onto their prey. I also don't think they're wild in Hong Kong. It's probably someone's pet that escaped or was dumped.
If she hadn't had a pocket knife the dog would probably be dead now. I'm from now on walking with mine!
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue May 13, 2014 11:41 am

What sort of dangers do you face in SA walking your dogs, Theresa?
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue May 13, 2014 1:23 pm

Not much maybe the odd puffadder but (with many thanks to the Good Lord) I haven't come across any.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue May 13, 2014 1:26 pm

I think I'd be a nervous wreck! But I suppose it's what you're used to - the worst we have here is a couple of bees!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue May 13, 2014 8:54 pm

We have adders around here - last year I saw a dog at the vets who had been bitten, his paw was the size of a melon.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue May 13, 2014 9:06 pm

Poor dog! sad 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue May 13, 2014 9:26 pm

Yes, although the vets didn't seem too concerned as he waiting in the waiting room to be seen. He was a big dog so maybe that had something to do with it. I know that if God forbid my dog got bitten by an adder I would rush in there screaming "See him NOW".
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Wed May 14, 2014 12:32 am

Yes burms do bite, but for a snake of their potential size they are relatively tame and reluctant to bite. Unwinding one that's curled around it's 'prey' isn't to bad if you start from the tail, it's much harder to release their teeth if they aren't cooperating due to the angle of them!
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed May 14, 2014 6:48 pm

Just a thought - would a cigarette lighter in the snake's face work? (I wouldn't want to hurt the snake, but there again I wouldn't want a dead dog).
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Wed May 14, 2014 6:55 pm

Would depend on the snake, some may release some not, i wouldn't count on it, put it that way!
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed May 14, 2014 6:58 pm

Desperate situation - desperate measure where anything would be worth a try. But thankfully a rare desperate situation.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed May 14, 2014 8:50 pm

Not very likely to happen in the UK, at least! It's recommended, for people who live in areas with a high wild snake population, to carry rubbing alcohol or similar. This can be put onto the snake's nose, which floods the senses and basically chokes the snake, usually resulting in the snake retreating. Always a last resort though, as this can cause damage.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down