All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New dog 'breed' craze - the Panda Dog (Debate - what do you think?)

+3
LyndaW
Caryll
Eleanor
7 posters

Go down

New dog 'breed' craze - the Panda Dog (Debate - what do you think?) Empty New dog 'breed' craze - the Panda Dog (Debate - what do you think?)

Post by Eleanor Mon May 12, 2014 5:48 pm

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/12/panda-dogs-are-the-latest-animal-must-have-4725007/

straight face I've never been an advocate for dyeing the fur of animals, but this just takes the mick. Chow Chows are notorious for their skin problems, and yet they're using harsh chemicals on their coats to make them look like Pandas...

Last edited by Eleanor on Tue May 13, 2014 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

New dog 'breed' craze - the Panda Dog (Debate - what do you think?) Empty Re: New dog 'breed' craze - the Panda Dog (Debate - what do you think?)

Post by Caryll Mon May 12, 2014 7:41 pm

I think it's totally disgusting!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

New dog 'breed' craze - the Panda Dog (Debate - what do you think?) Empty Re: New dog 'breed' craze - the Panda Dog (Debate - what do you think?)

Post by LyndaW Mon May 12, 2014 7:48 pm

Oh for heaven's sake.

I wonder what will happen to the dogs when the panda look becomes, like, so yesterday. (Well I could guess, knowing what Chow translates as).

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon May 12, 2014 7:55 pm

LyndaW wrote:
I wonder what will happen to the dogs when the panda look becomes, like, so yesterday.  (Well I could guess, knowing what Chow translates as).

shocked  Doesn't bear thinking about!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon May 12, 2014 9:34 pm

I dread to think...
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue May 13, 2014 8:40 am

It's been a fad in the East for a few years now. Dogs are dyed to look like pandas, tigers etc etc etc..
Ridiculous IMAO.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Tue May 13, 2014 11:02 am

Eleanor wrote:http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/12/panda-dogs-are-the-latest-animal-must-have-4725007/

straight face I've never been an advocate for dyeing the fur of animals, but this just takes the mick. Chow Chows are notorious for their skin problems, and yet they're using harsh chemicals on their coats to make them look like Pandas...
that really is taking the mick. The white looks a bit too white for there to have been no harsh chemicals used. If  they are naturally that white then what's happening to pups born who aren't white enough. And its not a one off, they go back every six weeks!
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue May 13, 2014 11:35 am

What on earth must they be doing to the poor dogs' skin?
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue May 13, 2014 11:54 am

I think the entire practice is cruel and unnecessary. straight face
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Tue May 13, 2014 12:10 pm

It is  sad 
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue May 13, 2014 1:19 pm

Another new fad is putting earrings in their pets ears. Their reasoning is that if it's ok for humans why not pets.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue May 13, 2014 1:27 pm

Shisa wrote:Another new fad is putting earrings in their pets ears. Their reasoning is that if it's ok for humans why not pets.

No!!! shocked  That's terrible!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Tue May 13, 2014 5:20 pm

They use chemical free dye so it is not harsh on the skin, many groomers use it on show animals to make them appear less blemished. I know personally the stuff i use doesn't harm my animals. Sorry i think its kinda cute  covering eyes i would not do it myself though.

The thing I think is better is that it is putting dogs in a more companion role not as food, and chows are notorious in china so they are food, so might be a good thing (at least in upper societies who wouldn't depend on cheaper meat)
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue May 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Regardless of chemicals, any permanent or semi-permanent dye is damaging to the hair and skin. The dye can't set without first damaging the hair shafts in order to penetrate them.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue May 13, 2014 7:10 pm

I know that dyes are used on show animals, but that's cheating! And yes, I know that many people 'cheat' in the show world, but that doesn't make it right. I'd rather lose and not cheat.

But that aside, the continual trips to be dyed (every two weeks, I think was mentioned) cannot be good for a dog's skin or coat.

Whether it helps with the issue of consumption of dog meat or not, I can't say - but even if it does, that doesn't make it right!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Tue May 13, 2014 7:47 pm

Six weeks on the article. It's not cheating it is enhancing, nothing is permanent (or shouldn't be anyway! ) so washes out. Doesn't make it right for these dogs, but it is still cute sorry lol
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue May 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Hayley wrote: It's not cheating it is enhancing,

Of course it's cheating. Covering up (or enhancing) a blemish with dye is cheating.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue May 13, 2014 7:53 pm

No, I don't find it cute in the least.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue May 13, 2014 8:00 pm

It is harmful, I'm afraid. It isn't a temporary dye, as this would wash out after the first rain. Even every six weeks is harmful to a dog's health - regardless of my personal feelings on the matter, even the groomers who dye dogs' fur do not recommend that the dye be used more than once every six months.

I'm completely against cosmetic dyeing in dogs. For a start, the dyes available for dogs haven't been properly researched and tested to ensure that no health problems will arise in the long term. We're talking about these 'Panda' dogs, even puppies, enduring an untested substance being placed on the fur around the eyes, ears, mouth and nose.

Even for showing, I'm not a fan. I'm not as strongly against it, as the area affected is usually quite small, but it's still not something I agree with.

Obviously, people will have different opinions about it and I wouldn't attempt to force mine on somebody else. These are just my thoughts on the subject. happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Tue May 13, 2014 10:14 pm

Those people are not dog lovers.
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed May 14, 2014 6:55 pm

Wendy wrote:Those people are not dog lovers.

In a nutshell, Wendy. They want something that looks like something else.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down