All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking of getting a chameleon... Updated - or even a hedgehog! :P

+5
LyndaW
Amber
Caroline
ella
Eleanor
9 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Thinking of getting a chameleon... Updated - or even a hedgehog! :P Empty Thinking of getting a chameleon... Updated - or even a hedgehog! :P

Post by Eleanor Sun May 25, 2014 5:29 pm

Probably only a small one, like a PLC. It's only a little thought buzzing around my head at the moment, as I don't think mum is too keen on the idea! laughing

What ever happens, it definitely won't be for a good while yet. One extra species is good enough for me and I want to focus on my stick insects. happy

Last edited by Eleanor on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Thinking of getting a chameleon... Updated - or even a hedgehog! :P Empty Re: Thinking of getting a chameleon... Updated - or even a hedgehog! :P

Post by ella Sun May 25, 2014 5:37 pm

Well you know the rule - if you do we expect photos happy
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Thinking of getting a chameleon... Updated - or even a hedgehog! :P Empty Re: Thinking of getting a chameleon... Updated - or even a hedgehog! :P

Post by Eleanor Sun May 25, 2014 5:59 pm

laughing Definitely!

Afraid, though, that a chameleon is now out of the question! sad The one I want would have to be purchased online. Our postal service is unbelievably horrific. Usually, our postman doesn't even bother to ring the doorbell; he just writes out a card and claims that he did. I wouldn't want to chance the little chameleon getting injured/malnourished/ill.

I'm currently looking at geckos. tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Sun May 25, 2014 6:52 pm

you could always use a reptile courier, i used one to get our first hedgehog here happy
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun May 25, 2014 7:14 pm

That's a possibility!

Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Sun May 25, 2014 8:29 pm

ella wrote:Well you know the rule - if you do we expect photos happy

Second that  thumbs up 
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun May 25, 2014 10:37 pm

It's all just talk at the moment! laughing I'd had a couple of drinks when I was pouring over different potential pets!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon May 26, 2014 12:31 am

Sad now... Doesn't look like I'll be able to get my little exotic pet. Nearly all of them require feeding with crickets, mealworms, etc., and there's no place for me to store them. sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber Mon May 26, 2014 7:05 pm

Chameleons are hard to keep, and must be kept in perfect conditions to thrive. Geckos are much easier to keep. Something like a Leopard Gecko, they are colourful and friendly. When I used to keep lizards, I used to buy the crickets in tubs, and as long as there is a little food in the tub, they should be fine to just keep in the tub. With the locusts, they are bigger, so I brought a plastic tank to keep them in until I wanted them.
Amber
Amber

Names of Dogs : Poppy and Millie

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon May 26, 2014 7:08 pm

I was wondering how you would feed it Eleanor!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon May 26, 2014 7:13 pm

Amber wrote:Chameleons are hard to keep, and must be kept in perfect conditions to thrive.  Geckos are much easier to keep.  Something like a Leopard Gecko, they are colourful and friendly.  When I used to keep lizards, I used to buy the crickets in tubs, and as long as there is a little food in the tub, they should be fine to just keep in the tub.  With the locusts, they are bigger, so I brought a plastic tank to keep them in until I wanted them.

Don't worry, I know how to! happy Have worked around all sorts of reptiles before. That's not the problem - the problem is storing the live food. With two other people living in the house, I don't think it would be appropriate to store the feed in cupboards or the fridge.

LyndaW wrote:I was wondering how you would feed it Eleanor!  

Doesn't look like I'll be able to anyway now. sad Quite upset about it really, but there isn't anything I can do about it, as far as I can see.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon May 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Mealworms give me the shudders, even in their dried state, and I don't how long they last in their grubby state before they metamorphose.

But crickets seem to live quite happily in their tubs - they are chirruping away merrily next to the till at a local pet supplies shop (don't know about PAH!)

I've got to admit that in your mum's place I'd have severe reservations too. Even crickets chirruping can get on your nerves - get on your nerves - get on your nerves.

Please try not to be upset Eleanor, I do understand - from childhood I wanted a cat but the very idea upset one or another of the people I was living with so it was never possible - that old saying "we can't always get what we want" !
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon May 26, 2014 7:55 pm

People who live here come first, definitely! Just a shame, as I love having something of my own to look after.

As larvae, mealworms can last anywhere from eight to ten weeks, unless they're refrigerated. I'm perfectly fine with them! laughing I was one of the few last year who would pick up the mealworms by hand, rather than with tongs, to feed the reptiles!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon May 26, 2014 9:09 pm

Just a thought - maybe try something less demanding to have as your own to look after?
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon May 26, 2014 9:26 pm

The animal itself would be no problem for Eleanor to look after - it's storing live food!

I don't really want it in the fridge, and most of the live food tends to be quite noisy, so having them in the bedroom isn't feasible. Also, we can't have anything that moves around in the main part of the house because it would drive Dempsey insane!!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon May 26, 2014 9:44 pm

Yes I quite understand Caryll. tbh (sorry Eleanor) I couldn't cope with meal worms or crickets in the house either, especially not in the fridge. Some things are just not possible, unfortunately. Like me having a cat  sad 
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue May 27, 2014 10:37 am

I would really like Guinea pigs but they would be in constant danger from the cats trying to get them...  sad 
We all need something of our own so maybe research something you all can live with  happy 
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Tue May 27, 2014 11:12 am

That's a shame but understandable. Karlas dad has a bearded dragon and she goes up to look after it now and again when he's away. Luckily for her it's only for a couple of days so she just has to feed him veg and not the crickets. I don't know if she would watch him if she had to  laughing 
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue May 27, 2014 11:43 am

That's what's so frustrating about it! The animal itself is something I could cope with. The feeding is what's standing in the way. sad

I've researched so many different animals, mainly reptiles, but am still coming up short. There are only three truly herbivorous reptiles (aside from tortoises) and none of them are suitable. I'd love to get a tortoise, but don't have the space to accommodate even a small one.

My ideal would be either a hedgehog or ferrets, but neither of those are practical with Dempsey around.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue May 27, 2014 4:19 pm

The herbivore lizzards are nasty from what I've seen posted on forums over the years.
What about a budgie or such? If you get a baby you can train it and they're lovely pets...?
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue May 27, 2014 4:23 pm

Yes, they are! Green Iguanas, in particular! Lost count of the amount of times the grumpy male tail-whipped me last year.

Unfortunately, the budgie would need to be kept in my bedroom. At night, it would undoubtedly disturb other people, as the walls are thin. Again, though, I wouldn't trust Demps with it if he did manage to get into my bedroom.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue May 27, 2014 5:06 pm

Budgies are pretty quiet at night if you cover their cage.
You could hang the cage from the roof so it's out of his reach and way.
Just an option to consider x
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue May 27, 2014 5:23 pm

It would solve the night time problem, but not the Dempsey problem, sadly. sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue May 27, 2014 6:17 pm

Well, I've been reading up for the last couple of hours and trying to figure things out. Don't want to jinx it, so will keep quiet for now. tongue I have a feeling that a certain other household member won't be too keen on the idea though, so not getting my hopes up! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Tue May 27, 2014 7:58 pm

Well i breed mealworms and dubia roachs and haven't had to buy live food for years now, I just keep them in really useful boxes (rubs) they don't make any noise nor take up much room at all
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next