All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auntie Ella's natural remedies, first aid and more!

2 posters

Go down

Auntie Ella's natural remedies, first aid and more! Empty Auntie Ella's natural remedies, first aid and more!

Post by ella Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:50 pm

I personally try to avoid using any chemical or un-natural drugs on my boys whether for fleaing and worming, or treating mild injuries at home.

Now no i'm not a vet or had any veterinary training, but have done extensive research into this subject as it's something i'm very passionate about.

None of these lists are exhaustive it's to give you an idea....

Garlic - garlic is always down on the lists for dangerous foods for dogs which technically it is IF you feed it by the bucket load. However given in appropriate amounts is very beneficial to your dog it can:

- is a natural fleaer and help with ticks
- detoxifies the body
- helps with digestion

It can be given as fresh cloves or in capsule form

apple cider vinegar - If giving this it must be the unpasteurised product containing 'the mother' it helps with

- alleviating allergies
- maintaing a balanced ph within the body
- arthritis
- stopping yeast infection internally and topically
- insect repellent if applied to the fur
- help with skin disorders

salmon oil - *note if giving any time of fish/salmon oil vit E needs to be given as the former depletes the body of the latter*

- makes food more appealing
- great for skin conditions/ dry skin
- helps joints

fish body oil - see note above

- keeps skin healthy
- healthy joints
- contains the omega 3 + 6 the body needs

vitamin e - *needs to be given with the above* antioxidant vitamin

- replenishes the vitamin e the body loses
- keeps the body hydrated
- promotes healing of the body
- 'anti cancer' properties

glucosamine - this is best to be given in it's natural form i.e from their food, foods such as chicken feet and heads are natually very high in it. However capsule form is just as good, but try to buy them where the glucosamine source is marine not bovine!

- helps with arthritis
- ensures healthy joints
- keeps bones healthy
- helps after surgery i.e broken leg
- helps with hip/elbow displasia

herbs:

rosemary - contains bioactive ingredients that help to prevent the breakdown of the chemical in the brain which is linked to senility. It is also an anti-oxidant

mint - has numerous digestive benefits, is a diuretic, cancer fighting, and has numerous nutrients. It also tastes nice  wink

turmeric - turmeric is a binding agent and one of the best remedies for diarrhoea. Turmeric has a soothing effect on the digestive system, can help reduce the risk of ulcers and protect the lining of the stomach, elevate blood cholesterol levels and has a protective effect of the liver. It is a natural antiseptic and works as an anti-inflammatory agent for arthritis. It also has known anti cancer properties

ginger - Ginger has a wide variety of effects on the human body and is known to be effective for the treatment of cataracts, heart disease, migraines, stroke, colds, bursitis, chronic fatigue, tendinitis, flu, coughs, depression, dizziness, fever, erectile difficulties, infertility, kidney stones and viral infections. It also very effective against travel sickness.

diatomaceous earth - I use this to deworm my boys instead of any chemical wormer, can be rubbed through their coat to kill fleas. With DE please ensure you and your dogs do not breath it in, it can irritate the lungs and in very large amounts can be harmful to the lungs. *please note if you do choose this, ensure the product you do buy is food grade and nothing else*

Also to add if your dog does have a diagnosed condition or suspected condition then please research what can and cannot be given. For example do not give rosemary to a dog that suffers with epilepsy.

Colloidal Silver - internally about 1 tsp for 25 pounds or less and 1 tablespoon up to 75 pounds and 2 tablespoons for larger is basic dosage. Great for infection prevention, wound healing as you can apply directly on the wound. You never need to dilute, as different strengths available
Coconut oil - dietary, coat conditioner, wound salve, oral salve, base for compresses
Hydrogen Peroxide - ear cleaning, induce vomiting, initial cleansing of a wound
Alcohol - ear cleaner, 1/3 alcohol to 2/3 water for flea spray, part of a compress for achy muscles
Bentonite - detox from heavy metals and intestinal bacteria, etc. Great compress for open wound or to clean out infected area.
Slippery Elm - intestinal coating to promote gut healing after vomiting or diarrhea
Aloe Vera juice - plain and unflavored - promotes intestinal healing and soothes gut - good on topical wounds and moisturizes mucous membranes
Bovine Colostrum - immune support and rebuild, probiotic
Primal Defense Ultra - best probiotic, intestinal repopulating of flora in the gut
Grapefruit Seed Extract - intestinal parasite curative, coccidia, and giardia, great anti bacterial - make your own anti bacterial spray for pennies
Ground Raw Pumpkin Seeds - worming
Shredded unsweetened coconut - mild de wormer
Lavender Essential Oil - calming and soothing great in castile soap for shampoos, on your dogs collar or bedding to calm and soothe
Arnica Cream - soothing for sprains and muscle injury
Peppermint oil - part of flea remedies, tummy soother, motion sickness aid
Cedar oil - part of flea preventative
Lemongrass oil - part of flea preventative
Citronella oil - part of flea preventative
Eucalyptus oil - flea preventative, anti bacterial,
((Never use essential oil directly on our dog's skin))
Almond Oil - used to dilute essential oils
Olive Oil - base for ear cleaner (use with lavender)
Lyssin - for pre and post rabies vaccines
Thuja - for pre and post vaccine damage for DHLPP vaccine
Pedialyte - pain relief

*please note some of these products may or may not be available in every country, but as this is an international forum i've included them all anyway*

to be continued....
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Auntie Ella's natural remedies, first aid and more! Empty Re: Auntie Ella's natural remedies, first aid and more!

Post by Caryll Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:51 pm

Thanks Ella!
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down