All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bit of a problem with the stickies...

4 posters

Go down

Bit of a problem with the stickies... Empty Bit of a problem with the stickies...

Post by Eleanor Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:19 pm

Their food has been completely infested by aphids. crying Went to do the weekly clean-out of the terrarium and they were all over the place! Black, green and red! They've encouraged mould, as well, so all of the eggs from the last week have been wrecked.

It usually only takes thirty/forty-five minutes to remove the stickies and place them into a temporary enclosure, take out the ivy plant, remove the waste, separate the eggs, clean down the terrarium, and replace the plant and stickies. Today, it took me about three hours to get it all sorted!

I had to scrub down the terrarium, which wasn't too bad. Also had to hack my favourite ivy plant right back, as the infestation was so bad. Luckily, one ivy plant was unscathed and the stickies have that for now. It isn't ideal, as it's a wide-spreading one, rather than a tall one, but it'll do.

Blasted the rest of the plants under the outdoor tap and sprayed them down with washing up liquid and water. Hopefully they'll be sorted in about a week. Just a shame about the one I had to chop back, as it was the biggest and leafiest.

My rosemary plants are doing great, though! They've doubled in size and the aphids never touch them. happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Bit of a problem with the stickies... Empty Re: Bit of a problem with the stickies...

Post by Caroline Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:41 pm

Jeez, that was some job to sort out shocked poor stickies and their eggs sad
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Bit of a problem with the stickies... Empty Re: Bit of a problem with the stickies...

Post by Eleanor Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:02 pm

Bit of a nuisance! In future, I think I'll have to check the plants daily.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:52 pm

Where are you keeping your terranium?
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:03 pm

Bedroom. I think the flies probably laid their eggs before the plant was put into the terrarium, though, as it was on the windowsill before.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:08 am

To kill aphids: Some dish detergent and water in a spray bottle. Spray the aphids with the mix. They'll die in a few minutes. Then just rinse of the plants with the hose.
Plants are 100% aphid free and it's natural and pesticide free.
I learned this trick when I had roses.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:32 am

That's what I did! happy Great minds think alike! Although I called it 'washing up liquid' in my post, but same thing. tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:37 am

laughing Washing up liquid and washing powder is what you use for laundry here tongue
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:51 pm

Really? We use washing up liquid for cutlery/cookware/plates, etc., and we use detergent for our clothes! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down