All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What a day! (Birdie *updated*).

+3
Shisa
Hayley
tracyp
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What a day! (Birdie *updated*). - Page 2 Empty What a day! (Birdie *updated*).

Post by tracyp Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:45 am

First topic message reminder :

My neighbours dog, jess (aka little Jess) came for a visit while her dad went shopping.  She has separation anxiety, a rescue with a not so happy prior life. We do not raise a voice, hand nor clap as she will flee to a corner. She is very head shy & didn't like to be touched, now  she loves cuddles!  hug . He is her 4th? owner.

He has to go away soon to see his brother as he is not well,  he cannot take little Jess there, (they will not allow a dog in their house) so she has to get used to him not being with her.

I will take her when he goes. He is 78, little Jess is about 8 I think? She is so tiny I'm scared to walk incase I step on her.... a chihuahua x foxie x god knows what? Mini Daushhound? Heres a pic.., shes a long chihuahua.  hug (she is soooo cute!)

She is not dog, people, or air friendly, she growls & snaps at anything but my guys love her & she has finally learnt to be nice with them & the chooks. thumbs up

What a day! (Birdie *updated*). - Page 2 20141202_114902

During little jess's visit..... Tyson bought another chick inside...

Poor little thing, Tyson was carrying it so gently, almost as if his teeth hurt. ( what a good puppy, I am so proud of his gentleness).... he placed it on the floor inside the back door to show me.  Both wings are damaged, it has 1st & last feathers on both wings, nothing in between, one wing is obviously broken...  I went to the chemist, got a syringe & eye dropper. It is eating meal worms & drinking from the eye dropper. But I don't like it's chances by the morning ... it is in my study with straw in a tub. I'm trying to keep it calm but for a young chick ( maybe 2wks) that's got to be in pain, it is fighting hard! I will give it a drink every hour or so during the night.

If it makes it, I dont think it will ever fly again so if all goes well.... I have a new pet birdie, but I don't think I will. crying
What a day! (Birdie *updated*). - Page 2 20141202_132523

Sorry its not a good pic. I don't want to move him (she) to get a shot as he squeals in pain.
This is the 3rd chick Tyson has bought to the door. The last one made it, I really dont think this one will. I will try, but I think we are running up hill without a water bottle.

Last edited by tracyp on Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:59 am; edited 2 times in total
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

What a day! (Birdie *updated*). - Page 2 Empty Re: What a day! (Birdie *updated*).

Post by Eleanor Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:40 pm

That's a good sign! If it turns out that the wing can't be used for flight, a positive association with you should help a lot if you choose to keep her in captivity. As long as she's kept properly, as I'm sure she would be, there's no reason why she can't live a perfectly healthy life.

Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

What a day! (Birdie *updated*). - Page 2 Empty Re: What a day! (Birdie *updated*).

Post by tracyp Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:19 am

Her right wing is shizenhouzen. The left is coming along brilliantly . If she ever flys I will be very surprised. I do not want another bird but.. what choise do I have! I can see no way for her to live in the wild. If she makes it I think she will be a family member here. She will live in my lorries old cage outside but have daily inside visits to stretch as much as possible.

If she can't fly she will just live with all mine. Lets see in the next month or so. Though I do not want a pet bird... I cannot just turn her out to die of starvation or be killed, can I. hug
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:07 pm

No you can't Tracy, and knowing you - no you wouldn't.

You are doing a brilliant job, I congratulate you.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:09 am

I wouldn't Lynda. If she never flys she will live with us. I do hope to set her free but I dont think its a reality. (Though I didnt think day 2 was a reality. )

We are getting there with her. The new record today in one sitting is now..... 9 meal worms  shocked  & 1 eye dropper of water. Im doing physio with her 2x daily but she only has control of her left wing. Her feet, legs, mouth, stomach & LUNGS... ALL working beautifully. hug

She sat balancing on my shoulder for 2 hrs today as I tidied up (very slowly for her)! I could feel her toes & legs grasping, her little body againt my neck.  clapping She sits beside or on the dogs & Chilli stays far away when she is in the lounge. (My naughty flicking Chilli's ear if too close has worked a treat.)

We named her today.

Penelope "pigstop"! rolling on floor

Remember "Penelope pitstop" from the whacky races cartoon. ( I hope you all know the cartoon or the humour is simply wasted.) rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:58 am

*Update*

Birdie is still living with us, in a cage outside, talking to the birds that pop in for a visit. She is fit & fighting well, eating, drinking, jumping & running up & down sticks like an ant. She has come along very well.... Though she has still never flown, crying (she still doesn't have full flight feathers) she is now withdrawing from human contact. She is showing natural fear of anything near her. This is exactly how she should behave. But all my physio efforts have failed so far & flight eludes her to date.

We will keep trying though, I want her out in the trees flying free. She can always come back for a free feed whenever she's hungry. hug
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:24 am

You've done wonders with her - if she's meant to fly, she will. Time for another piccie?
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:33 am

I don't think she'll ever fly Tracy. Birds are such delicate creatures.
Is there a bird park she could go to? So she could be in a big enclosure with loads of space to run and climb freely? Specially if you say she's starting to show her natural caution?
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:10 am

Unfortunately not. I have done more research. She is actually a "female black bird" which is brown. Only the males are actually black. If I had taken her to a vet or sanctuary,  by law they would have euthanized her as she is classed as a ferral bird. crying  
But I couldnt do that. A life is a life unless you are a miner bird. I still wouldn't kill it but just put it somewhere safe in the yard & let it be.

I'll get a pic next day or two when she comes in as she hides in the branches & leaves in the cage. Unless you know shes in there it looks like I am housing sticks & leaves. happy
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:03 pm

That's a pity.
She'll probably come round in time and be less scared. How long do they live for?
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:11 pm

I don't really know? The opinions on the net vary wildly.... average of 3-4yrs seems the general consensus but one said the record was 20! shocked

I don't believe that but if the internet says it, it must be true? whistling
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:19 pm

tongue If only! Then that Nigerian Prince would have given me my 900 million dollars!

rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:23 pm

Well he will as soon as you send him 50 grand so he can access his millions! I'm sure he will promise he'll pay it back! rolling on floor
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Shisa wrote:tongue If only! Then that Nigerian Prince would have given me my 900 million dollars!

rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor

tracyp wrote:Well he will as soon as you send him 50 grand so he can access his millions! I'm sure he will promise he'll pay it back! rolling on floor

Hey, he said that was mine!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:41 pm

laughing laughing laughing

Must be a different prince!
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:43 pm

Same prince by a different IP address. rolling on floor
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:19 am

Here she is after trying to bite me. She really dosent like us human folk anymore.
I think she maybe part snapping turtle. laughing

What a day! (Birdie *updated*). - Page 2 20150121_131234

What a day! (Birdie *updated*). - Page 2 20150121_131301

As you can see, both her flight & tail feathers still have not come in properly. She dose now "flap & flutter" about but she'll need more feathers to get any actual lift. Still, her left leg is now in excellent condition so maybe with some more time she will grow some feathers & achieve lift off. confused
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:00 am

tracyp wrote:Same prince by a different IP address. rolling on floor

laughing laughing

I suppose it's better for her, really, if she doesn't like people much - better chance of survival overall.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:11 am

She doesn't look too amused at having her photo taken! You've done really well with her! Gold
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:26 am

Lorraine wrote:She doesn't look too amused at having her photo taken!  You've done really well with her! Gold

laughing She does look really cross!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:47 am

I'm quite happy she no longer likes me or the dogs. She doesn't like anything moving near her & snaps at anything that she can, which is exactly what she needs to survive.

Seems she doesn't like pics either. That's her.... back off or I'll bite you face. laughing
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:50 am

rolling on floor

Go get 'em birdie!!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:53 am

Lorraine wrote:She doesn't look too amused at having her photo taken!  You've done really well with her! Gold

Cheers Lorraine! I didn't think she'd be with us the morning after Tyson bought her home. So...so far, so good. I just need her to grow feathers & make like a bird now.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:01 am

Caryll wrote:rolling on floor

Go get 'em birdie!!

Don't encourage her! rolling on floor
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:07 pm

You've done so well Tracy. And especially for welcoming Birdie's stand-offishness. I must admit that in your place I'd be broken hearted that I didn't have a feathered friend for life!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:15 am

Thanks Lynda, it has been along road for her. (& me) She simply has no respect for all I have done for her. dunno  rolling on floor

Her fear of all things will serve her well. I don't play with her anymore, just grab her, bring her inside, put her on the floor & walk towards her slowly so she is forced to flutter to get away. I will miss her if she flys & i release her but I'll be so happy that she is in the wild where she belongs. hug

She now eats garden worms, ants, bread, seeds, fruit etc so if she ever flies she knows lots of different foods she can eat giving her a great chance. I also hide her food now so she has to search to get a meal or drizzle honey or peanut butter in her cage. She loves that & it brings some ants in which she gobbles right up. laughing
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next