All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crufts - GSD best of breed controversy

3 posters

Go down

Crufts - GSD best of breed controversy Empty Crufts - GSD best of breed controversy

Post by Caryll Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:33 am

This has been a hot topic everywhere, with everybody 'passing the buck'.

My own view is that the bitch wasn't good enough to get best if breed - far too exaggerated and nervous. NO GSD SHOULD BE NERVOUS!

The best & most rounded comment I have seen so far is this...

http://www.louisdonald.com/blog/my-summation-of-the-crufts-mattert
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Crufts - GSD best of breed controversy Empty Re: Crufts - GSD best of breed controversy

Post by Lorraine Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:57 am

I agree Caryll - her nerves were shot to pieces, whatever the reason. The GSD standard particularly mentions temperament, so in my opinion, she didn't fit the standard - which is what she should be judged against. The arguments about her physique are secondary to me, but she didn't move particularly well, or look particularly good, to my (uneducated) eyes. A dog in that much distress should have been removed from the thing that was causing the distress - i.e. the ring!
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Crufts - GSD best of breed controversy Empty Re: Crufts - GSD best of breed controversy

Post by Caryll Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:34 pm

Absolutely - what used to be the norm was that a dog that was stressed or lame going into the group judging would be taken to the judge & the handler would explain & withdraw! Doesn't seem to happen now.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:27 pm

Louis Donald seems to have withdrawn his article thinking
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:45 pm

I can't see the article either, and I didn't watch Crufts at all this year.

But I saw a photo of the dog - it looked dreadfully roach-backed with no hindquarters to speak off, but I can imagine how the poor thing moved. The fact that it was nervous and distressed as well I didn't know.

Disgraceful.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:16 am

I'll have to see if I can find another one - I wonder if pressure has been laid to bear?

I've see photos of the bitch at other shows (and a couple with her at home, playing) and although she's too exaggerated for my liking, she doesn't look as bad. However, something at Crufts really spooked her & that played havoc with her movement and, obviously, with her temperament.

I have to say that if I had been Frank Kane (the group judge) and I had seen the state she was in, I would have asked the handler to leave the ring. Sod the controversy, she was terribly unhappy & it was cruel to put her through it.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:30 pm

Dear me, Frank Kane was the judge - he's very well respected isn't he? (If I remember correctly)

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:02 pm

Yes, Lynda. To be honest he didn't do anything wrong. If anything it was the breed judge who was at fault.

However, they're saying that she was okay in the breed ring (although I didn't think much of her during best of breed judging, but I'm certainly no expert) but was scared & lame in the group judging.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down