All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What sort of exercise do you give your dogs?

+8
ladymarmalade
Dave
LyndaW
Hayley
Wendy
Caryll
ella
Eleanor
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What sort of exercise do you give your dogs? Empty What sort of exercise do you give your dogs?

Post by Eleanor Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:36 pm

Any extras added onto walks? Special toys or activities? Do tell!  popcorn 
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

What sort of exercise do you give your dogs? Empty Re: What sort of exercise do you give your dogs?

Post by ella Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:44 pm

normally 2 walks a day of a minimum of an hour, they have access to the springpole all the time really, flirt pole (until it broke) a few times a week.

When i can, take them weight pulling, am hoping to compete more this year with them.
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

What sort of exercise do you give your dogs? Empty Re: What sort of exercise do you give your dogs?

Post by Eleanor Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:47 pm

No wonder your boys are so fit! What's your flirt pole like? Demps' is just a bamboo cane attached to a soft toy by a piece of cord. tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:30 pm

basically a flexi plastic pole with hole at the end with bit of rope and toy, so not that different happy
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:39 pm

Ah okay! tongue Glad I'm not the only one who didn't go out and buy one of these professional looking ones!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:46 pm

haha nope!
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:10 pm

Cheepskates!

No, why pay a fortune for something you can make yourself a helluva lot cheaper!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:12 pm

Although I'll probably switch the bamboo for something more flexible... tongue It keeps breaking!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:10 pm

Our games tend to be 'pulling' rather than anything else. They both enjoy pulling on each end of a rope. Buster won't 'fetch' to save his life. Gus will but is intercepted by Buster. 'Out of the garden' activities are generally just walking as I have to keep them on-lead and out of trouble.

It can be a bind to live surrounded by countryside as everybody seems to have at least one dog and every remote place you go to has at least one other person there looking for a remote spot for their dogs. I can't tell you how many times I've thought 'great - nobody around for miles, I think I'm safe to let them off-lead, only to spot somebody with a dog in the distance.

Sometimes I go out at night in the pitch black simply because it is the only time I can have them off lead in the whole day (because I am the only idiot doing it and the countryside is dog free.)
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:31 pm

That must be a pain!

It's one of the reasons I love walking in the rain - nobody else is around. The fair-weather walkers hide inside, while the rough-and-tough walkers stick it out! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:22 pm

No, lexi is literally the most boring dog. No toys, not nothing. Just walking about and the occasional chasing of a wind surfer lol
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:50 pm

Eleanor wrote:That must be a pain!

It's one of the reasons I love walking in the rain - nobody else is around. The fair-weather walkers hide inside, while the rough-and-tough walkers stick it out! laughing

We do the rain walking too and like you - I enjoy it because there are few other walkers around. Buster hates it though but there again, he is a wus.
Wendy
Wendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:06 am

Doesn't Lexi like toys? Bless her! laughing

Isn't that always the way? Find an ideal walking weather condition and the dogs don't want to know! tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:07 am

Apart from walks, Kuchar's exercises are chasing things up and down our (luckily large) living room. His favourite at the moment is a largely disintegrated old trainer of my son's, but I also swear by plastic drinks bottles, capped and slightly deflated, beautifully crunchy and noisy!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:11 am

They make excellent toys! happy Dempsey has one inside a natural burlap-type covering, which he got for Christmas.

Speaking of, I think I need to start upping his play time a bit. He's starting tearing up his bedding again! Pooped some out earlier! tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:30 am

me and Tilly have a game called "Daddy Chair" it involves her jumping up on my chair every time I get up or alternatively when I feel the head on my knee and am shamed to move over to let her fit in , she also jumps down , which in turn involves maybe 3 rounds of "Daddy Chair" per day ....................... lazy little mare
Dave
Dave

Names of Dogs : Tilly and Tommy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:57 am

How nice of her to let you sit in her chair! happy You should be grateful! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ladymarmalade Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:57 am

My lot have a spring pole but to be honest only Gizmo uses it.

We also have several landrover tyres but again, its mainly Gizmo that plays with them.

We have an automatic ball thrower that can take up to 10 balls and the idea is they fetch them and drop them back in the bowl for it to go again however none of them have mastered that bit yet. We have only spent about 3 hours in total though over various days and i am hoping that by the summer Gizmo will have mastered it. It will wear him out when i am working.

Gizmo also loves to swim. When i had my hot tub he would come in that with me but i don't have it anymore. He has a little plastic pool that he splashes in and really enjoys it but we are looking to get him a pool he can actually swim in very soon. They did have an inflatable one in the Range near me that was 51 cm in depth and about 2.2 meters X 1.86 meters but not sure if he would be able to swim in it. It was only £15 so i may just take the chance.
ladymarmalade
ladymarmalade

Names of Dogs : Vinnie, Gizmo and Sky

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am

I can just imagine you all getting fit using the automatic ball thrower and retrieving the balls for the dogs yourselves! laughing 
Wendy
Wendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:25 am

ladymarmalade wrote:We have an automatic ball thrower that can take up to 10 balls and the idea is they fetch them and drop them back in the bowl for it to go again however none of them have mastered that bit yet.  We have only spent about 3 hours in total though over various days and i am hoping that by the summer Gizmo will have mastered it.  It will wear him out when i am working.

If you don't use a clicker get one and train them with it. I never believed in them but they do work, amazingly.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:27 am

My lot have a run through the fields every second day and play in the yard rest of the time. I have a massive fenced area and they chase each other and do dog things. They also have some formal obedience training every day.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:20 pm

Really interesting to see all the ways people exercise their dogs! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:49 pm

Just walks, she very rarely plays with toys. It takes a very special toy (usualy pink) to make her play. Have been working on some dance moves lately, have her going around and through the legs hehehe
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:31 am

My two just get walks now. They used to run about mad playing but recently they havent been able to play offlead or have any toys because it just leads to fights sad
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:38 am

What a shame. sad  I don't suppose you can walk them separately for a bit of off lead fun?
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next