All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog protecting pregnant owner video - what do you think?

5 posters

Go down

Dog protecting pregnant owner video - what do you think? Empty Dog protecting pregnant owner video - what do you think?

Post by Eleanor Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:36 am

http://www.heart.co.uk/news/today-youtube/dog-protects-pregnant-owner/

It's definitely very sweet that the dog wants to protect his owner, but I can't say that I like the video. Obviously the dog perceived the man touching his owner as a threat, so he reacted accordingly, but something should have been done to control the situation. If the dog goes out for a walk with his owner and somebody attempts, as many people do, to touch the baby bump, what then? No, the dog wasn't out-and-out trying to bite the man, but the situation still should have been calmed down.

There's also the worry that Staffordshire Bull Terriers/American Staffordshire Terriers and related breeds already have an unfair (in my opinion) reputation as 'aggressive' dogs. Yes, the dog was just protecting, but that's not how a lot of people are going to see it. It doesn't help the breed's reputation in the slightest sense.

The article mentioned that the dog is usually docile - fine. So, surely, you'd want to ensure that this remains the same? Teaching a dog control doesn't necessarily mean that he isn't still going to be protective, but it does mean that he won't be throwing himself around all over the place whenever somebody goes near his owner's belly.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Dog protecting pregnant owner video - what do you think? Empty Re: Dog protecting pregnant owner video - what do you think?

Post by Caryll Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:08 am

I can't get the video to play for some reason, but it sounds rather irresponsible to put the dog in that position & then to find it funny!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Dog protecting pregnant owner video - what do you think? Empty Re: Dog protecting pregnant owner video - what do you think?

Post by Eleanor Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:22 am

Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:15 am

Right, just watched it. Horrendous!

At the end the dog does nip the man's hand - why the hell do they find that so funny? shocked 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:02 pm

Yes, he definitely made contact. Obviously the dog wasn't attempting to injure, as his mouth very barely made contact each time, but that isn't the point.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:20 pm

Yes I've seen it and it makes me very uncomfortable, and something we really don't want from chance should it come to that
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:30 pm

I think you can carefully discourage it, but that in that video they are putting the dog under far too much pressure.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:33 pm

Definitely and just thinking it's funny!
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:39 pm

But you're responsible and wouldn't laugh if Chance did something like that. tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:01 pm

Exactly!
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:06 pm

Totally wrong and promoting the possibility of a horrible accident to someone that doesn't know , to me it is more tormenting the dog than anything else and for it to be filmed and promoted is disgusting
Dave
Dave

Names of Dogs : Tilly and Tommy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:11 pm

Unfortunately, some people seem to find it funny.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:26 pm

Uncomfortable viewing on several levels.

But - does anyone believe that a dog knows that his owner is pregnant and by projection is protecting the unborn child?

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:28 pm

I don't think he was protecting the child; I do believe he was protecting his owner, who would have been full of raging hormones and scents that could have triggered the protective behaviour of the dog.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:42 pm

Good point!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down