All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More pregnant ewes attacked by dogs

3 posters

Go down

More pregnant ewes attacked by dogs Empty More pregnant ewes attacked by dogs

Post by Eleanor Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:14 pm

Warning - images of the injured ewes are a little graphic, so I'll quote the information below for people who don't want to see it.

http://www.surreymirror.co.uk/Pregnant-sheep-savaged-dog-attacks-Reigate-Walton/story-20710596-detail/story.html

http://www.surreymirror.co.uk/Pregnant-sheep-savaged-dog-attacks-Reigate-Walton/story-20710596-detail/story.html wrote:SEVEN sheep were badly mauled, and one pregnant ewe killed, in two separate dog attacks.

Dog walkers have been reminded to keep their dogs on leads around livestock, after one sheep in lamb died and three others were badly wounded on Reigate Hill, and a Leigh farmer was left devastated when four of her sheep were savaged at their field in Walton on the Hill.

Three were left in a "critical" condition, with bites to their heads, faces and legs, including one pregnant ewe.

"I don't think people quite understand what their dogs are capable of," said Leigh farmer Rachel McMaster, 21.

"We only started out in the last couple of years. We have sunk so much money, time and effort into our sheep, only for someone to carelessly allow their dog to run where they like. It was heartbreaking. Two had ears ripped off, one had the skin on its face ripped off down to the bone.

"Sheep breathe through their noses and one had its face so smashed up it was gasping for air, sitting in a pool of blood. I am surprised they weren't put down by the vet.

"I am now battling against infection, they are all on antibiotics, painkillers and anti-inflammatories."

A witness believes a boxer dog may have been responsible for the attack in the field off Dorking Road, Walton on the Hill, at about 11.35am on February 13.

Rachel's sheep were moved back to her farm in Flanchford Road, Leigh, and she thanked staff at Walton Heath Golf Course for their help.

Last Tuesday morning, four more sheep were attacked in a field between Reigate Hill fort and car park, leaving one pregnant ewe dead and the others injured.

Surrey Hills countryside warden Andy Wright said: "We didn't see who did it and nobody left a note. We just had a report there was a dead sheep in the field. When we got there the rest were all wide-eyed and clearly agitated. Three others had been lacerated by a dog.

"The vet reckons they will probably make it but the worry is the lambs inside them. We had them scanned a few weeks ago and all are carrying twins or singles and being chased around like that can make them abort.

"We don't want to vilify dog owners and dog walkers. Ninety-nine out of a hundred are decent people, it's just there is a bit of naivety. They see their dog's big doey eyes and think their dog won't do that.

"But dogs love to chase, they are only doing what comes naturally. It is just about people being a bit more aware."

Both attacks were reported to the police.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

More pregnant ewes attacked by dogs Empty Re: More pregnant ewes attacked by dogs

Post by Caryll Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:30 pm

When will people learn to keep their dogs restrained when there are sheep about! angry 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

More pregnant ewes attacked by dogs Empty Re: More pregnant ewes attacked by dogs

Post by Eleanor Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:31 pm

I wish I could say they'll learn at some point, but I don't think they ever will - not until it happens specifically to them.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:24 pm

For some reason people don't associate dogs with being vicious wild animals that are very capable of trying to kill other animals. Lambing season now, so hope we don't hear more stories like this sad
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:31 pm

We will. Happens every year and people never learn.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:57 pm

Yeah, people are dumb and just expect the animals to train themselves.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:59 pm

Gives a bad name to the responsible owners, as well. Personally, I don't care what time of year it is - Dempsey stays on lead around livestock. In lambing season, I wouldn't even let him near them.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down