All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What plays a more important role in dog behaviour - nature or nurture?

3 posters

Go down

Nature or nurture?

What plays a more important role in dog behaviour - nature or nurture? Vote_lcap25%What plays a more important role in dog behaviour - nature or nurture? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 1 ]
What plays a more important role in dog behaviour - nature or nurture? Vote_lcap0%What plays a more important role in dog behaviour - nature or nurture? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What plays a more important role in dog behaviour - nature or nurture? Vote_lcap75%What plays a more important role in dog behaviour - nature or nurture? Vote_rcap 75% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 4

What plays a more important role in dog behaviour - nature or nurture? Empty What plays a more important role in dog behaviour - nature or nurture?

Post by Eleanor Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:40 pm

My answer would be 'both', although nurture to a greater extent in most cases. I do believe that certain behavioural traits are genetic, but I also believe that behaviours are moulded throughout a dog's life.

There's also a 'Chicken or the egg' problem of sorts, though. Scenario:

A bitch is dog aggressive and has a litter of pups. All of these pups are sent to good homes with good owners, and yet they all become dog aggressive. Is this because of a genetic link or did the behaviour develop after birth through imitation of the bitch?

Now you could reason that it would depend on when the aggressive behaviour showed itself and that, if it was after the pups reached maturity, nature was to blame. What do you think?
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

What plays a more important role in dog behaviour - nature or nurture? Empty Re: What plays a more important role in dog behaviour - nature or nurture?

Post by LyndaW Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:25 pm

I've voted Nature. Of course Nurture has a huge role to play, but I would never get a pup if I knew one or the other parent (but particularly the mum) was aggressive.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

What plays a more important role in dog behaviour - nature or nurture? Empty Re: What plays a more important role in dog behaviour - nature or nurture?

Post by Eleanor Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:34 pm

Nor would I! I'd always ask to see at least the dam. The sire too, if possible. If one was aggressive, I'd want to know exactly why and to what extent.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:47 pm

I said both. I am terrible at trying to explain what I mean but I think that nurture can play a huge role in shaping a dogs behaviour but you are working with the basics that nature has already put there.
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:56 pm

Actually, I think that was really well said! tongue Something I hadn't really thought of before.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down