All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collar and lead, harness, halti etc. What do you use?

+8
Eleanor
Lynne
shazzy-t
Shisa
ella
Caryll
LyndaW
Wendy
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Collar and lead, harness, halti etc. What do you use? - Page 2 Empty Collar and lead, harness, halti etc. What do you use?

Post by Wendy Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

Personally, I'm quite traditional and use collar and leads. I tried a borrowed harness once and couldn't get away with it as it felt weird to me. I've sometimes wondered about halties but would worry that the boys hated them and I had wasted my money so I stick to what I know.

What do you use?
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Collar and lead, harness, halti etc. What do you use? - Page 2 Empty Re: Collar and lead, harness, halti etc. What do you use?

Post by Mikey Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Blue suffered with dog aggression for a long time due to being fearful. I discovered that when he was off lead and in a big open space he was fine, so haven't used a lead at all for a long time. He walks in big secure fields now and never goes up to other dogs or chase small fury things so not needed one.
Mikey
Mikey

Names of Dogs : Blue

Back to top Go down

Collar and lead, harness, halti etc. What do you use? - Page 2 Empty Re: Collar and lead, harness, halti etc. What do you use?

Post by Mikey Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Saying that he has just started going on my treadmill supervised on a lead and I had to buy a new one as he associates it with going out so as soon as he got off he ran to the front door  laughing 
So I have a collar and NEW lead for that
Mikey
Mikey

Names of Dogs : Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:06 pm

Glad to hear that he's doing well on his walks now! happy

laughing A brand new collar and lead, eh? Somebody must be pleased with himself!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:33 pm

I have always used a choker, ( I think you call them "check chains"). Tried a holtie on Jess as a youngster. Nothing doing. She was so freaked, her ears didnt work. Useless.

I tried a harness on Tyson when young to get him into it,  same effect.

I just use chokers, & my voice. 

Its a rare day I ever need to correct them. Occassionally as a teen puppy but, it works with a voice command.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:58 pm

Choke chains, we call them in the UK.

They were once all the rage, I had them for both my Dobies and special ones for showing them (you would have been laughed out the ring without one).

But a certain dog trainer on TV years ago, bless her; although she did advise which way to put it on so you didn't actually strangle the dog, was so enthusiastic with her jerking and sharp reprimands that they fell into complete disfavour here. I haven't seen a choke chain on a dog for many years.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:10 am

Well, there is only one way to put them on correctly.  Constant jerks are completely ineffective. I have always used them from pups & I find that 4 or 5 corrections on a pup (No! Sort sharp puppy correction)  & mine know from a young age. Choker on, working now, I'm listening & watching your leg mum.

They are as common as mud here. Holties, harnesses (to some degree) &  muzzles are the exception. 

It really is a rare day I correct mine.
But I must say.... it annoys me no end when owners put it on the wrong way. It's a collar, not a noose! shocked
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:56 pm

I also use them for training.
They are another contested subject. They're used wrongly very often.
I do the same Tracy, a few sharp corrections and praise, you have a dog that walks nicely for the rest of it's life.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:27 pm

When I first started training, check chains were the only way to do it! But we were taught how to put them on & how to use them! When I began to be a trainer within the club myself, I used to take all the new members into a separate room & spend at least 10-15 minutes talking about why check chains should only be used for training, how to put them on & the reasons that there's a right & wrong way. I used to demonstrate on my wrist, and then on my own dog.

We insisted that they were called check chains (not choke chains) mainly to reflect their useage.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:31 pm

Yes you do. Mine  walk brilliantly. I let my little girl neighbour walk tyson. (With me beside her) They know.... 
Leather collar = outside now, mum is leaving the grounds.
Choker = right... I'm working now. Lets go!!! Yup, i'z watching mum.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:36 pm

I use them everytime my dogs leave my property. They are their walkies collar. Why should they only be used for training Caryll?

Mine go ape at the sound of the chain coming off the hook! Walkies time! We're off to the park, street, shops? Where we going mum? Nothing makes them happier than the sound the choker moving.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:53 pm

Mainly because that's what they were originally made for, and of course, if your dog is trained to walk beside you, he can do so on a flat collar or harness & doesn't need the 'check'. Plus, of course, there's always the possibility that a dog will react to something unexpectedly & suddenly pull - bad enough with a flat collar, but nasty with a check.

Another reason I stopped using them was that they can wear away the coat around the neck area, and Border Collies, Tervuerens & GSDs look awful with a worn away area of fur around their necks!

I have to say that with my first border collie she wore checks all the time when she went out, but from then on all my dogs have had flat collars. My second collie was trained to test C standard using only a flat collar.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:16 pm

They are made for correting a dog. Mine know that! Its one of the reasons jess didnt attack back in the malamute encounter we had. But they still love the sound of me taking it of the hook. Jess pushes her head through the loop to get it on so she can go walkies faster! 

Im sorry to say but.... wear marks on their neck means the collar is not being used correctly. There should never be a loss of fur if used properly.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:49 pm

Mine also love theirs or they at least know something exciting is going to happen.

Caryll I have one that has big links, they're called fur savers. They don't pull on the hair as much.

Xan works on his flat collar but if I put Axel on a flat collar I'd be ski-ing after him during the other dogs retrieves. He thinks every toy thrown is for him.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:50 am

Thats hilarious!   rolling on floor
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:01 am

I think if they're used properly then there's no harm. But they can be bought in any pet shop by any numpty & that's when they go wrong.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:48 am

Any restraint put on a dog can cause harm. There are vets that say you shouldn't put a harnass on a growing pup as it can cause skeletal problems if they pull.
Short of it... teach your dog to walk properly regardless of your tool.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:51 am

That's very true.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:08 am

Shisa wrote:
Short of it... teach your dog to walk properly regardless of your tool.

Amen to that.  not worthy 
I couldn't bear walking a dog that constantly pulls. I expect a high level of behaviour from mine in the street & they know it from a young age. If you want to have a skitzoid run. We have a yard. Go nuts. But in the street. "Working now, watch me."

Caryll... I agree! There are some people that should not be allowed to purchase chokers.
Wouldn't it be great if you wanted to purchase one you had to show you know the correct way to use it. Seems a no brainer to me... you can't get a license to drive before you can show you can control the car.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:00 am

[quote="tracyp"]
Shisa wrote:Wouldn't it be great if you wanted to purchase one you had to show you know the correct way to use it.

That would be fantastic! But then, I suppose, all pet shop & supermarket stores would have to be taught how to use it so that they can judge whether or not someone is capable of using it themselves?
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:01 am

Sad but also very true.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:26 am

Just for the record.... mine never wear chokers if unattended. I only use them for walkies & training (school).
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:56 am

Mine don't wear any collar when unattended. I've heard of to many accidents.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:28 am

tracyp wrote:Just for the record.... mine never wear chokers if unattended. I only use them for walkies & training (school).

Shisa wrote:Mine don't wear any collar when unattended. I've heard of to many accidents.

Same here - Dempsey goes naked indoors!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:42 pm

None of my dogs have ever worn a collar around the house, I just can't see how it would be comfortable.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:29 pm

I'd think it'd be uncomfortable as well, but I'm always concerned about them catching it on something when you're not there to see it.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next