All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pitbulls

+4
Shisa
Dave
ella
LyndaW
8 posters

Go down

Pitbulls Empty Pitbulls

Post by LyndaW Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:28 pm

I must admit that I saw this topic raised on another forum (no, not THAT one!) but didn't answer it there for reasons of my own.

We all know that pitbulls are subject to very heavy legislation in the UK. What puzzles me is - why do several people (posts read over several months in several places) say that they would if they could "own a proper pit I would in a heartbeat!" (latest quote). What advantages have pitbulls over other dogs to provoke such a desire?

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Pitbulls Empty Re: Pitbulls

Post by ella Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:37 pm

have you ever met a REAL pit as in APBT?

Yes i'd have one if they were legal and the same goes for a dogo, they are both immensely amazing dogs, both in personality and looks, having met them in america i would love to own them.

However i feel a lot want to own them due to the status they bring
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:09 pm

No I can't say I have ever met a pitbull. I have met several dogs (usually puppies - never seen again) that the young lad owners have proudly proclaimed are "half pitbull".

I know I'm ignorant of the breed which is why I ask - why are pits immensely amazing and to be preferred above more easily accessible dogs?

I'm really not being antagonistic, please believe me; just curious as to why they are so desired.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:40 am

I would certainly consider the breed but not at the expense of the Stafford . For me I suppose it is just because they are so similar in nature and character its a case of love one , love em all
Dave
Dave

Names of Dogs : Tilly and Tommy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:46 am

Pitbulls are not the same in character as Staffies they differ a lot.
Pitbulls in America have also been bred to be more friendly over the last few years. They're turning more into AmStaffs than Pitbulls. I was looking to import from a big breeder a few years ago and we had some very enlightening discussions.
Here in South Africa Pitbulls and Pitbull type dogs are all the rage at the moment: In the townships they make you look hard and tough and can mean some easy money in a fight. Gang wars are decided on the backs of fighting dogs.
It makes me sick to the bottom of my soul.
The poor bitches are bred to death having puppies season after season for some more money. They are owned by complete fucktards and nothing can be done to stop them.
I also feel that while trying to do good for the breed Cesar Milan has done them a lot of damage by making them more popular.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:17 pm

When we were in America, we saw a lot of Pit Bulls. In one area, these were guard dogs for homeless people. However, we didn't see any of them displaying signs of aggression or ill health.

Personally, I wouldn't get a Pit Bull. That's nothing to do with any prejudices, but rather because they're just not my ideal type of dog.

I think with some people, they just love the temperament. With others, sadly, I think it's because they're banned; a lot of people want what they can't have.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:25 pm

I like pitbulls, but I don't want to see them come off the DD list. Over the last 35 years I've see staffords being systematically ruined by the wrong people who get them for the wrong reasons. If the pit comes off the list, they will follow the same route.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:20 pm

I think most would want one as a tough symbol. I wouldn't have one to be honest, but then i prefer smaller bull breeds so thats just me.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubyroo11 Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:51 pm

LyndaW that will be my quote from staffiesrus, my reasoning for wanting a proper pit and not some pseudo pit is that while growing up we always had staffs but family friends always had pitbulls and they were fantastic dogs just as good as the stafford although slightly more intelligent and quicker witted than the stafford and because to get a real pit you know what personality traits to expect rather than the unknown crossbreed specials passed of as pits and certainly not "to make me look hard"

Rubyroo11

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:55 pm

I doubt that anybody here would get a dog to make themselves appear tougher.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:04 pm

No, not here. Gamedog maybe....
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubyroo11 Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:15 pm

I have to agree with Caryll though about the DDA but this is due to the inadequacy of the authorities to offer protection..just look at what little protection our beloved breed gets and hoe over bred they are and can be bought or traded like cheap meat so as much as I hate the DDA it has offered the pitbull terrier a certain amount of protectiom but only from general public and not from the hands of the dog fighters

Oh and today with the Scottis weather I look like a mad professor with my frizzy out of control hair.... Might not look tough with my dogs but by god I am sure I scared a few folk with the hair today!

Rubyroo11

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:17 pm

I often wonder why the other three breeds are on the dd list, i mean, they are so rare they are unlikely to have ever even killed anyone here..
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:26 pm

I think they chose those breeds that were known to have been involved in dog fighting. They didn't choose the Stafford because of it's 'nanny dog' reputation and it was a British, registered breed.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:48 pm

Random people. Kinda racist! lol
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:41 pm

Rubyroo11 wrote:LyndaW that will be my quote from staffiesrus, my reasoning for wanting a proper pit and not some pseudo pit is that while growing up we always had staffs but family friends always had pitbulls and they were fantastic dogs just as good as the stafford although slightly more intelligent and quicker witted than the stafford and because to get a real pit you know what personality traits to expect rather than the unknown crossbreed specials passed of as pits and certainly not "to make me look hard"

Yes it may well have been your quote Roobyroo! And you have answered my question - "slightly more intelligent and quicker witted" - thank you!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down