All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going to have to be extremely careful with Demps - found out he's a good hunter...

+4
Shisa
Caryll
LyndaW
Eleanor
8 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Going to have to be extremely careful with Demps - found out he's a good hunter... - Page 3 Empty Going to have to be extremely careful with Demps - found out he's a good hunter...

Post by Eleanor Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

A spider hunter. laughing

A big, fat-bodied spider was crawling around our living room yesterday, while mum and I were having our Movie Night. The first time it crawled past, Demps shot up and frowned at it, watching it go.

The second time, he dashed behind the armchair and dove underneath the computer desk (a space only half his size) after it, so he had to be pulled back out. The spider scuttled away.

Third time, he shot up again and mum stopped him before he could pounce. laughing I caught it in a glass and took it outside, so that Demps didn't crunch the abdomen and leak its nasty spidey juices all over the carpet. tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Going to have to be extremely careful with Demps - found out he's a good hunter... - Page 3 Empty Re: Going to have to be extremely careful with Demps - found out he's a good hunter...

Post by Eleanor Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:40 pm

laughing

Lynda, the best stories are best told twice! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Going to have to be extremely careful with Demps - found out he's a good hunter... - Page 3 Empty Re: Going to have to be extremely careful with Demps - found out he's a good hunter...

Post by LyndaW Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:27 pm

Well Eleanor, I'm embarrassed - I didn't think I'd ever breathed a word about this horrid experience before. My short-term memory is obviously losing its marbles.

"Most people are oblivious to what goes on on a production line" - this is so true Tracy. I have no complaints about pharmaceuticals, absolutely exemplary practices and cleanliness - toiletries etc nearly as good. But foodstuffs .................. I just can't understand why the same standards are not upheld or enforced.

Anyway - off my soapbox and back to spiders!

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:48 pm

To be fair, it could just be good old déjà vu playing tricks on me! laughing

Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:37 am

Shisa wrote:Out of sight out of mind. Ignorance is bliss.

True that!

Rat droppings, false nails falling into the line, missing finger tips, bodily fluids, flour beetles, fly blown fruit ready for the line, curdled milk products..... ohhhhh, I love my home grown products.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:51 am

LyndaW wrote:Well Eleanor, I'm embarrassed - I didn't think I'd ever breathed a word about this horrid experience before.  My short-term memory is obviously losing its marbles.

"Most people are oblivious to what goes on on a production line" - this is so true Tracy.  I have no complaints about pharmaceuticals, absolutely exemplary practices and cleanliness - toiletries etc nearly as good.  But foodstuffs .................. I just can't understand why the same standards are not upheld or enforced.  

Anyway - off my soapbox and back to spiders!

Let me digress....
Seems the same here Lynda. Pharmaceuticals are highly regulated. The food industry... not so much which is sheer madness to me..  shocked 

So....  blah I do love how our convo's have their own life.....  back to spiders.

Has anyone heard of our white tip ( white tailed spider)?
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:06 am

http://www.csiro.au/Outcomes/Environment/Biodiversity/White-tailed-spiders.aspx

They are right little nasties! I beg to differ on the bite outcome....
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:33 am

I don't think I've heard of them. If I have, I don't remember. tongue

Out of curiosity, is there anything you do, that people in the UK wouldn't need to, in regards to spiders? Like in the article, where it mentioned checking your bed covers before going to sleep. Is that something you have to do every night?

Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:09 pm

We certainly do shake the bedding before sleep in summer. They do like to get in between the sheets but scurry away quickly if disturbed.

Many of us bomb our house, then they don't want to come in for 8 mths or so.
I spray the dogs beds every month in summer.

Google "white tailed spider bites" images.

They wont kill you but they will wreck your life!
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:31 pm

Yeah, I just read a bit about them. They don't sound very friendly! tongue

Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:14 pm

I'll pass on looking at white-tailed spiders, and am also reconsidering my plans of spending April - October in England, and November - March in Australia!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:47 pm

We had our first Giant House Spider today! Well, last night. As usual, the first residence they take up is the bathroom sink. Mum saw it and conveniently forget to tell anybody, so now it's at large in the bathroom! laughing And ripe for breeding!

They can give a bit of a bite to make you ill, but still nothing dangerous! happy Our lovely, safe spideys are wimps!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:48 pm

Ooh, just found out that the Giant House Spider holds the Guinness record for fastest spider! happy

Now that's a comforting thought  worried 
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:09 pm

Eleanor, they are my worst nightmare and this change to autumnal weather brings them into our houses (where have they been, where the heck do they think they're going?)

As for being fast, I believe it, they go like the clappers (my guess is 15 mph)

And I hate them.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:49 am

About 1.2 miles per hour according to  google , but still the fastest spidey! And considering their size, that's really fast! shocked

Apparently, it'll usually only be the males you'll see. They come scuttling out in search of females.

I really don't like them laughing Think I've already mentioned this, but one was trying to attack my hand when I caught it in a glass last year! Evil!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:02 am

Lynda...November - March will be too hot for you. April -july would be better.  rolling on floor
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:05 am

Eleanor wrote:Our lovely, safe spideys are wimps!

rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor 
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:09 am

How many times must I say......

Find a big shoe...... a flat spider is a good spider! I can "whack" faster than 1.2 mhp tongue 
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:52 am

That's disgusting! Imagine the mess! laughing Besides, I'm not sure I'd want to. Google's been very informative! Apparently they're fantastic for pest control!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:46 am

evil So am I!
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:50 am

laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:46 pm

tracyp wrote:Lynda...November - March will be too hot for you. April -july would be better.  rolling on floor

Nah - April thru October is England time, can't beat it!

But apart from the snow, which I would miss, I would be glad to swap November thru March for another summer. So long as there is air-con or at least a fan it is rarely too hot for me, so long as it is not too humid. And so long as your spiders, snakes, flies and box-jellyfish stay well clear of me!

Eleanor - 1.2 mph? A third of our walking speed? I can only say that the speed the beggars go across my living room floor they must be the Usain Bolts of the arachnid world shudder shudder.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:09 am

LyndaW wrote:So long as there is air-con or at least a fan it is rarely too hot for me, so long as it is not too humid.  And so long as your spiders, snakes, flies and box-jellyfish stay well clear of me!

dunno Hehehehe.....So you're not coming over then?
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:25 pm

tracyp wrote:

dunno Hehehehe.....So you're not coming over then?

Actually, I'd love to see Australia and have a rain-check invite to stay with my nephew in Sydney. BUT I have to get there and back, and see other places too whilst I'm about it so finances are the main snag!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:01 am

We all have fans... 90% have air con . It's kinda like air..... pretty tough without it at 40c+
Where in sydney does he live? I used to live up there. Some parts are really beautiful.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:00 pm

He first lived in Surrey Hills and now lives in Bondi. He has a lovely flat there but it has no heating for the winter months, which he has been finding difficult. Brrrr.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next