All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just a few Australian thingamajigs that bite.....

5 posters

Go down

Just a few Australian thingamajigs that bite..... Empty Just a few Australian thingamajigs that bite.....

Post by tracyp Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:01 pm

Funell webs: Don't like heat so they come into the house to cool down. They hide in shoes, couches or washing. They cause any secrecting glad to over produce & cause respiratory failure. Being known to kill a child within two hrs. Most adults will survive given antivenom.The females are the ones to watch out for. There is no mistake if you see a female. disapprove

Eastern brown snake: often found in home pools taking a dip.  They cause blurred vision. 7-8 wks in hospital & permanent loss of kidney function if not treated quickly.  A spade is the best way to deal with this little fiend.

Crocs: I suggest you don't swim in rivers unless you have spoken to the locals. Dogs should be contained in a car & not allowed to splash on the waters edge. Freshies arent as bad but salties.... shocked

Redbacks: Found anywhere... they are small & hide in anything!
Nausea, vomiting, headache, and agitation also occur after a bite and indicate severe poisoning.

Wolf spiders:
These will make you vomit, sweat, feel as if you are on fire, your skin literally burning, causing ulcerations that do not heal for years, if ever! The wound goes from a small bite to massive amounts of dicingrating flesh.

The beautiful platypus, the red belly, the tiger, the echidna, the blue ring octopus, the butterfly cod, the blue box jellies.....

I could go on..... covering eyes

Australia really is a beautiful place. Anyone up for a holiday? happy

Last edited by tracyp on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Just a few Australian thingamajigs that bite..... Empty Re: Just a few Australian thingamajigs that bite.....

Post by Hayley Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:11 pm

I was quite sad that wehn i was there for nearly 3 weeks i saw NO wildlife. I only saw a few cockatoos in the park.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Just a few Australian thingamajigs that bite..... Empty Re: Just a few Australian thingamajigs that bite.....

Post by tracyp Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:13 pm

Hayley wrote:I was quite sad that wehn i was there for nearly 3 weeks i saw NO wildlife. I only saw a few cockatoos in the park.

No way! Where did you go or stay? 1hr out of the centro here & you will find wildlife everywhere.

Cockys are lovely to look at but to be honest.... they are the rats of the air. Except they distroy 4 times as quickly. I live in the outskirts of melb & I have hundreds of lorrikeets & rosella's here living in my front gum tree every summer. A wombat or two wandering around & roos are living just past the racetrack, a 3 min drive. Galahs come in every summer with the smaller parrots, corellas to. Emu's are just further down the track, with the koalas, about a 5 min drive.

There is a ton of wildlife here.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:56 pm

tracyp wrote:Australia really is a beautiful place. Anyone up for a holiday? happy

My nephew has lived in Sydney for 5 years now and travelled around a fair bit, but as far as I know the only scary encounter he has had in all that time has been finding a Huntsman spider in a previous flat.

In answer to your question - yes I would be up for a holiday Down Under (given the necessary funds) and am often urged to do so by aforesaid nephew who would accommodate me in his flat in Bondi, but after going all that way I would like to see other things too! But I don't want to go in fear of my life both indoors and out!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:53 pm

I went from sydney to the top of the country. noooo wild life lol
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:29 pm

Hayley wrote:I went from sydney to the top of the country. noooo wild life lol

Now that is the trip I would be thinking of making, if I ever do it at all!

Did you really not see any wildlife Hayley? My sister went to Sydney a couple of years ago to visit her son and they said they went into the bush, but it was actually a sort of park/zoo. And they went on a boat trip out of Sydney to what was supposed to be the barrier reef, but looked like a wooded island in atrocious weather (it was October) to me. (I watched the video!)
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:45 am

Australia is built on things trying to kill you.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:33 pm

LyndaW wrote:
Hayley wrote: they went on a boat trip out of Sydney to what was supposed to be the barrier reef, but looked like a wooded island in atrocious weather (it was October) to me.  (I watched the video!)

The barrier reef is nowhere near sydney! Its off Qld (Queenslands coast)! rolling on floor

Last edited by tracyp on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:34 pm

Shisa wrote:Australia is built on things trying to kill you.

not talking I believe you have just as many little nasties yourself. tongue
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:29 pm

tracyp wrote:
Shisa wrote:Australia is built on things trying to kill you.

not talking  I believe you have just as many little nasties yourself. tongue

I don't think we even feature in the top 10 list of most dangerous countries.

Australia is almost nr 1 and I think then the south American countries follow. laughing laughing laughing

If we're talking most likely to get shot countries ... well I wouldn't disagree.

Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:15 pm

rolling on floor Ok, good point! Take the "little" out of the sentence. You got BIG stuff that want to munch on you. rolling on floor

Last edited by tracyp on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:27 pm

laughing laughing laughing
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:59 pm

tracyp wrote:
LyndaW wrote:
Hayley wrote: they went on a boat trip out of Sydney to what was supposed to be the barrier reef, but looked like a wooded island in atrocious weather (it was October) to me.  (I watched the video!)

The barrier reef is nowhere near sydney! Its off Qld (Queenslands coast)! rolling on floor

That's what I thought - thank you for confirming it Tracy. I'm not going to argue it with my sister though!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:00 pm

LyndaW wrote:
tracyp wrote:Australia really is a beautiful place. Anyone up for a holiday? happy

My nephew has lived in Sydney for 5 years now and travelled around a fair bit, but as far as I know the only scary encounter he has had in all that time has been finding a Huntsman spider in a previous flat.  

In answer to your question - yes I would be up for a holiday Down Under (given the necessary funds) and am often urged to do so by aforesaid nephew who would accommodate me in his flat in Bondi, but after going all that way I would like to see other things too!  But I don't want to go in fear of my life both indoors and out!

Can I also confirm for you.... if he lives in Bondi... he may have been lucky enough not to have see a funnel web but I assure you without a doubt, they live there!

Does he live in an upstairs apartment? Funnels like burrows of ground floor houses.

The males are small, sort of like what you would think of as a black house spider I believe, but a female... there's no mistake! If he'd met one he'd of known.
Most places (houses/apartments) we don't see them often but we are well aware that they are there!
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Yes Tracy, he certainly lives in an upstairs flat now, and I think his other places were upstairs as well.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:40 am

LyndaW wrote:
tracyp wrote:
LyndaW wrote:

That's what I thought - thank you for confirming it Tracy.  I'm not going to argue it with my sister though!

Why? I would argue it! It's simply not true.
NSW (New south wales. The state Sydney is in) is a different state to Qld. (Queensland) You would have to drive for.... im guessing..... for 8-12 hours to get to the reef.
The great barrier reef is not near Sydney. A 2 sec google search will show that!
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:28 pm

Nah - I don't want to disenchant her (she was seasick enough as it was) to tell her that she just went around some scrubby nameless island in Sydney harbour!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:28 pm

laughing

Waaaaaay too many bitey, stingy things for my liking!
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:05 am

LyndaW wrote:Nah - I don't want to disenchant her (she was seasick enough as it was) to tell her that she just went around some scrubby nameless island in Sydney harbour!  

rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor  you are so nice! kiss  I would rub the facts in my sisters nose till she sneezed! rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor
If she left from Sydney harbour & got seasick, she would probably have been taken out through the heads, is gets very rough though the heads, she probably went to Glebe island or Cockatoo island.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:24 am

Caryll wrote:laughing

Waaaaaay too many bitey, stingy things for my liking!

We do have alot of nasties but....we know how to avoid them & it's not like we meet them everyday unless your in the bush. Then we just work around them or cut their heads off or squash them. A long handled shovel is a deadly weapon here for snake eradication, it gives you some distance from the bitey end & everyone has one. We aussies live by get it first before it has a chance to get you. Though we are a loving, caring, happy go lucky bunch... we don't like all of our wildlife sharing our lives. laughing

It is unfortunate that we cut their head off if in doubt of the species but the alternative is not great.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down