All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poor Kuchar!

+2
Caryll
LyndaW
6 posters

Go down

Poor Kuchar! Empty Poor Kuchar!

Post by LyndaW Fri May 08, 2015 9:34 pm

Is traumatised sad

I took him for a walkie somewhere he's never been before, and there was an ornamental pond, with gently shelving Health and Safety sides.

Now, Kuchar HATES water and will only daintily dip his toes when he wants a drink. So I had him on his long lead when he went to look in case he wanted a drink. Suddenly, he jumped in! SPLASH! Only his head showed, and the look of surprise and shock on his little face! I pulled him to "shore" by his lead and he was so scared he immediately tried to run away.

As the water was still, dark and had some covering of water weed (what we used to call Granny Green Teeth when I was a child) I can only think that he thought it was dry land. He's warm and dry now, but I can't see me ever being able to tempt him into water now! And I won't be surprised if he has nightmares tonight.

Poor soppy soggy little baby!

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Poor Kuchar! Empty Re: Poor Kuchar!

Post by Caryll Fri May 08, 2015 11:00 pm

Awwww, poor soggy Kuchar!

Nasty you to put him through such trauma!
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sat May 09, 2015 2:37 am

Oh, kuchar! XXX hug Poor babe.

My rottie pup Boris did similar at 10wks. We had him & the older rottie Zac (3-4yrs then?) at the beach. Zac loved to swim & was a very strong swimmer. Boris didn't "get" water. Zac bolted for a swim in an ENOURMOUS rock pool that the huge waves refreshe the water twice a day. Boris followed not realizing it was water & not solid ground. He went straight down under the water as myself & my bro in law bolted to the pool stripping watches & wallets off, dropping phones, pulling clothes off... (my sister left behind to pick everything up) as we were running so fast, afraid he'd drown. Was a freezing day but it looked like we were going in for a swim to save him.
He popped his little head up & made it back to the side. I scooped him up, wrapped him in my jacket & we all walked home.

Poor Kuchar. hug  He may not be anymore worried about water than before. Boris grew to absolutely love the surf. Or any water for that matter.

I think Kuchar deserves a special dinner & tons of fussing & more hugs.

Last edited by tracyp on Sat May 09, 2015 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sat May 09, 2015 3:01 am

LyndaW wrote:
but I can't see me ever being able to tempt him into water now!  

Something you made me remember. Far earlier than my 1st post above.  Maybe it can help, or give you a suggestion how to help him overcome his water fear as he's still young there's time to correct this.

Our older rottie (Zac) HATED water till he was about 2yrs?. & I mean HATED!  On a walk he went miles around puddles & if it rained he would bolt from tree to tree waiting for us to catch up to him. Swimming was not an option for him!

Anyway, a friend & I used to walk them all together. She had a shepherd.  "Holly" was her name. Beautiful dog, gentle soul, she loved to play with Zac & he loved her. He was around 2yrs, she would have been 6yrs? We decided to take them to the beach one night in summer as it was stinking hot & we wanted to roll up our pants & wade to cool ourselves down.

Holly loved to swim. She waded in with us. An amazingly intelligent dog. (Tracking, agillity, scent ID were her sports) so.... Holly noticed that Zac just ran back & forth on the shoreline making sure not to let the waves touch his feet as he barked at us to get out! Water is dangerous you know!

That shepherd went & got a stick.... teased Zac on the shore till he was so frustrated the water was less important than getting that stick off Holly. She let him bite the stick & gently led him out into water he couldn't stand in.... Zac was both swimming & having fun!

It was amazing & the 1st time I watched one dog teach another to swim. My friend "Pam" & I splashed in the water joking that Holly was a bitch teasing Zac so much. She knows he won't swim! Well... Holly knew exactly what she was doing. We were the idiots for not seeing sooner. Ever since that day he loved the water.

Just something to think about. Do you know a happy pup that likes water? We used to swim & call Boris to us. Maybe Kuchar has friends happy to swim, play & support him till he finds water is ok? But don't forget..... many staffies are not good swimmers so you do need to ensure someone can hold him up to begin or maybe a doggie lifejacket?

Sorry I've gone on so long. I just wanted to give you somethings to think about. Just maybe it will be of some help to Mr Kuchar or yourself. I would hate him to miss out on the fun of a swim.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Sat May 09, 2015 7:40 am

Poor Kuchar - I hope he's not too traumatised.

That was an amazing story, Tracy, we give our dogs too little credit sometimes.
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sat May 09, 2015 8:17 am

Yes.... but, hand on heart... they are both true.  My dear old Zac also got a stick to save Boris as a pup from being swept down stream in the yarra. Often we are not the teacher, but the student. We just need to watch. Dogs are amasing creatures! hug
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat May 09, 2015 12:54 pm

Aw, poor Kuchar! hug

Demps used to have a real water phobia, as well. He once went straight through a fence to avoid going through water.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sat May 09, 2015 1:26 pm

Poor Kuchar but ... I would have laughed myself silly as I pulled him to safety. I might be a bad mum.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat May 09, 2015 8:35 pm

What wonderful stories Tracy! And yes, Kuchar has doggy friends who love going into our little river, but Kuchar just looks at them amazed! He'll dip his toes but that's it.

Ah well - perhaps he knows he's a Staffy and Staffies can't swim!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon May 11, 2015 10:16 am

Bandit was the same - he'd splash about in the shallows but hated getting out of his depth. He could swim, but just didn't want to!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon May 11, 2015 4:26 pm

LyndaW wrote:What wonderful stories Tracy!  And yes, Kuchar has doggy friends who love going into our little river, but Kuchar just looks at them amazed!  He'll dip his toes but that's it.

Ah well - perhaps he knows he's a Staffy and Staffies can't swim!

Tyson swims.. head up, ass sinking! I always hold his belly up so he feels ok but while he now wants to swim to where ever I am, I do not trust in his skills on his own. Jess is great but Tyson is a swimming brick! As is my neighbours staff Millie.

Maybe wait for a warm day when you'll swim. We get in the water with all the people & dogs, call him as if its the best thing in the world, maybe his fav ball? More fun than he is having? Let him feel left out? he should want to follow once he gets frustrated that he is missing out on all the fun & attention. I personally would be just far enough away he has to get in to get to you all but close enough to move quick & hold him up, balance & let him feel that you have him in the water. (Despite the initial claw marks & welts you may suffer.) hug

Without meaning to go on..... make sure its his decsion to get in the water. You really don't want to physically force him to swim. Some of mine have struggled & thrashed initially, I just hold the up calmly with a "good boy! well done!" As soon as they stress too much or settled.....(Face kiss, pat, ok, thats enough... lets hop out now. Thats enough for today. Towel rub with more praise. Lots of good boys & play).
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon May 11, 2015 8:29 pm

All good advice, Tracy, for anyone who wants their dog to get swimming, and enjoy it.

Personally, my swimming days are behind me! And anyway, our little river is only shallow. I would just like Kuchar to be able to take a dip into the cool water when the weather gets hot, but if it's not to be it's not to be.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon May 11, 2015 11:39 pm

Maybe one of those kiddie "clam" pool/ sandpits in the backyard for him? I don't know what you guys call them? We have one for Tyson. Not very deep, he can just stand of lay to cool his belly.

Poor Kuchar! TSP254
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue May 12, 2015 11:21 pm

Yes it's a good idea Tracy; I'd love that Kuchar would lay in it to cool his belly as he does suffer in the heat.

I'm inclined to give it a try ................
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down