All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warning issued for all dog owners over poisonous plant after death of two-year-old German Shepherd

3 posters

Go down

Warning issued for all dog owners over poisonous plant after death of two-year-old German Shepherd Empty Warning issued for all dog owners over poisonous plant after death of two-year-old German Shepherd

Post by Eleanor Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:36 pm

http://www.larnetimes.co.uk/news/local-news/poison-parsnip-blamed-for-dog-s-death-at-drains-bay-beach-1-5862023

The poisonous parsnip (hemlock) is toxic to dogs and humans and should be avoided.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Warning issued for all dog owners over poisonous plant after death of two-year-old German Shepherd Empty Re: Warning issued for all dog owners over poisonous plant after death of two-year-old German Shepherd

Post by Caryll Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:50 pm

Extra care is needed, I think. The dog didn't even eat it, just picked it up. sad 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Warning issued for all dog owners over poisonous plant after death of two-year-old German Shepherd Empty Re: Warning issued for all dog owners over poisonous plant after death of two-year-old German Shepherd

Post by Eleanor Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:25 pm

I think the warning should be extended to parents as well! Very dangerous!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:33 pm

True. Nobody (me included!) just don't realise that water parsnips are part of the hemlock family! shocked  Deadly!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:35 pm

I hadn't realised until I looked up poisonous plants a few years back - it's not really common knowledge sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:37 pm

I wouldn't even know what it looks like, though. sad 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:40 pm

Tbh, nor do I...

Just looked it up - it's one of these plants that happens to be very similar to other plants.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:41 pm

Trouble is, hemlock looks very much the same as other wild plants (wild carrot, Queen Anne's Lace, etc); maybe bigger.

Thankfully, children are too busy these days on their X-boxes to wander the countryside as I did 50-odd years ago. Then, we would look for these big plants as the hollow stems made excellent pea-shooters. The "wrong" stem would sting around the mouth and we would wash our lips in the stream on whose banks the things grew.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:53 pm

Just think about the danger we used to put ourselves in! shocked 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:30 pm

Caryll wrote:Just think about the danger we used to put ourselves in! shocked 

But wasn't it great? In those long-gone days we children went out in the morning and didn't come back until we were hungry. What bliss for our parents - we were gone all day. We learned for ourselves - good or bad. And some of us survived.

Mind you, I didn't do the same with my own children in the '70s and '80s !
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down