All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Rescue Article From Dog World - Update

2 posters

Go down

Another Rescue Article From Dog World - Update Empty Another Rescue Article From Dog World - Update

Post by Caryll Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:47 pm

Wild Acre: on the front line of rescue by Geraldine Cove-Print
Created: 19/02/2014

There is a small lay-by just outside of Cradley Heath in the black country of the West Midlands, the road that runs alongside it leads to a doggy day-care centre and it could well be this fact that has led to two dogs, in separate incidents, being dumped there in just the past few months. When a passer by saw a small brown dog at the side of the road, this Good Samaritan stopped and was horrified to see the little lass had a terrible injury to her foot. The dog warden was called. Sandwell District is very lucky to have such good dog wardens because this one not only took the injured lass to the vet but then made the effort to ask Wild Acre Rescue to find a suitable foster for her, if she survived.

Another Rescue Article From Dog World - Update Rescue_zps6419a385

Wild Acre Rescue are beginning to get quite a reputation in this neck of the woods for taking on those dogs that other rescues are unwilling or unable to accommodate, so founder Angela Gelenscer had little hesitation accepting the dog she then called Kelly. The vet was horrified by Kelly’s injuries, one hind paw had been mutilated, the toes were missing and it looked as if the whole paw had been de-gloved. It is not known how the dreadful injury happened but it could have been an outlawed Gin Trap or even another dog with powerful jaws. The result was devastating to Kelly and she was a very poorly girl for many days.
 She was placed in the foster care of Howard and Tania Smith who nursed her 24 hours a day, feeding her with a dropper and changing the dressing on her paw daily. Angela told me, "You look into Kelly’s eyes and you can see she’s not ready to go yet, she’s a fighter and we have done everything we can to give her that chance.” The next hurdle will be to operate on the remaining bone when Kelly is well enough, the strain on the other hind leg is giving concern and it’s felt that a complete amputation, in this case, could cause more problems. I’ll keep you up to date with this plucky little dog’s progress.
 Another waif in Wild Acre’s care is Pippin – now this really is a tiny bundle! Chihuahua cross Jack Russell at a guess, she was abandoned in a skeletal condition, her claws were talons and she had two inguinal hernias. She also had luxating patellas to both sides and her teeth, well Angela described them as "dripping”. This hadn’t happened overnight, this was long term abuse and you can understand why those who choose to work in rescue are so outspoken about canine welfare and particularly dog breeding and breeders when it is the rescue that picks up the pieces.
 I asked Angela what she would do if she were ‘in power’ and able to address the stray dog issue. She said: ”Bad breeders make me so angry, it isn’t just the bull breeds, it’s all through the pedigree dogs too. If only pedigree dog breeders would realise just how many recognisable breeds came through rescue the good ones would at least try to do something about it.
 "We have to stop before the numbers are completely out of control. I feel swamped by the responsibility of dogs in need – for us it’s a way of life now.”
 Angela and fellow rescuer Gena Jones have been on the sharp end of irresponsible breeding many times. Angela told me: "I think if I wasn’t rescuing I would have made a good dog breeder, I love the whole process and I can understand why people want to breed a litter but when all you are doing is producing puppies to sell into a miserable life, what is the point?”
 The latest admission to Wild Acre’s ‘maternity wing’ was Charlie, dumped even though she was heavily in whelp. She needed a caesarean to help her deliver 12 puppies! If you are a pedigree dog breeder and a caesarean is needed you can take some comfort in the thought that at least part of the cost, depending on the breed, will be covered when the pups finally go to their new homes, for a rescue there is no such safety net. Raising pups well, as we all know, is time hungry and expensive but Angela sees no reason to stint on the care or the cost. Wild Acre still have two of this litter to rehome but Angela is in no hurry, as she said: "We want these youngsters to go out to a forever home, first time. We didn’t choose to breed these puppies but our responsibility doesn’t stop when they leave our hands, we just wish others would feel the same way.”
 It’s clear that fundraising has to be a big part of Wild Acre’s success, like many other charities they have found that opening a charity shop offers a steady income and the shop is well supported locally, but it’s a drop in the ocean of veterinary bills. The future of dog rescue is of great concern to anyone associated with it, so much of rescue was based on trust and acceptance that a dog from rescue was likely to carry some baggage, now all welfare societies have to guard against prosecution from the litigious.
 A new generation of rescuers is stepping forward, computer savvy and PR ready but still with the heart of a lion that’s needed to survive against the odds. The third member of the Wild Acre team is 20-year-old Lindsey Smith, she’s been involved in dog rescue since she was 13 and still has a passion to help dogs in need, it’s cheering to think that we do have younger people ready and willing to take up what sometimes feels like a poisoned chalice.
If you would like to know more about Wild Acre Rescue or donate to this excellent organisation please go to www.wildacrerescue.co.uk.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Another Rescue Article From Dog World - Update Empty Re: Another Rescue Article From Dog World - Update

Post by Eleanor Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:56 pm

Poor things! sad

Lucky there are shelters and rescues out there who care about the dogs though!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Another Rescue Article From Dog World - Update Empty Re: Another Rescue Article From Dog World - Update

Post by Eleanor Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:09 am

Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down