All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

People want law to be passed to order people to train their dogs

2 posters

Go down

People want law to be passed to order people to train their dogs Empty People want law to be passed to order people to train their dogs

Post by Eleanor Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:07 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/1214080/dog-owners-should-be-ordered-to-train-pets

While I think that owners of out-of-control dogs being ordered to attend training classes is probably a good idea under certain circumstances, I think it's a bit much to say that any dogs that don't receive training should be put to sleep.

I like the following:
http://news.sky.com/story/1214080/dog-owners-should-be-ordered-to-train-pets wrote:
Labour committee member Jim Fitzpatrick said that owners must be made to take responsibility for their dogs and forced to microchip them.

"It would act as a deterrent to stop people from buying dogs in the pub or from street vendors," he said.

He added: "Existing breed specific legislation is flawed. It's not about breeds. Any dog can be vicious if not treated well or trained properly and if the owners don’t understand the responsibility."

Although I would change the 'microchip' part to cover other forms of identification, such as tattooing.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

People want law to be passed to order people to train their dogs Empty Re: People want law to be passed to order people to train their dogs

Post by Caryll Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:47 pm

Hmmmm.

Training is a good idea, but then there would have to be training schools set up in every area so that people could get to one if necessary. And which training method would be right? Would you be able to refuse to go to a specific class if the training method wasn't suitable? ie Cesar Milan v Positive Reinforcement?

There are so many people who come up with ideas on how to stop the problem of out of control dogs, but most of them are flawed.

The responsible people would comply, but they're not the ones you need to target! The irresponsible will just dump the offending dog at a rescue centre (if the dog's lucky) and then go out and get another one!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

People want law to be passed to order people to train their dogs Empty Re: People want law to be passed to order people to train their dogs

Post by Eleanor Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:16 pm

Yeah, there's that as well. Unfortunately, I think the people who push for these laws to be passed are usually people who don't own dogs. sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down