All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adoption fees - what do you think?

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Adoption fees? (You can select more than one answer)

Adoption fees - what do you think? - Page 2 Vote_lcap75%Adoption fees - what do you think? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 75% 
[ 3 ]
Adoption fees - what do you think? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Adoption fees - what do you think? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Adoption fees - what do you think? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Adoption fees - what do you think? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Adoption fees - what do you think? - Page 2 Vote_lcap25%Adoption fees - what do you think? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 4

Adoption fees - what do you think? - Page 2 Empty Adoption fees - what do you think?

Post by Eleanor Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

I personally feel that the fees are a good idea. It isn't an outrageous price, usually around £100-£150, considering how much it costs to take proper care of a dog. Rescues operate on donations as well; the least we can do is reward them for taking such good care of our new dog beforehand.

Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Adoption fees - what do you think? - Page 2 Empty Re: Adoption fees - what do you think?

Post by LyndaW Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:30 pm

I've put Other, because like most things in life I am in two minds! Coloured somewhat by my very limited experience.

Whilst I understand that dog rescues must ensure that they are happy that the dog will go to a safe home, some demands that they make are ridiculously high - like Caryll's stairs for instance, and 6 foot high fences all round the property.

When a dog IS allowed to be rehomed, I think some discretion regarding "donations" should be allowed, according to the adoptee's circumstances.

I do realise that the rescue needs funds to continue it's work in caring for abandoned dogs, but at the risk of sounding heartless and mercenary, I would baulk at paying £100-£150 for an adult dog which would be a "pig in a poke" as far as behaviour and previous history is concerned. I think it is a very brave person (and a bigger person than me) who takes on an adult dog.

And, I am unfortunate enough to be the kind of person who can only really love a dog as it deserves to be loved if I have had it from a puppy. A baby, and a blank sheet. Any aberrations in its character thereafter will be my fault, and I will know where they come from so better able to deal with them.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Adoption fees - what do you think? - Page 2 Empty Re: Adoption fees - what do you think?

Post by ella Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:51 pm

No i definitely agree with you Lynda, while we were happy to pay £99 for Chance's fee, i wouldn't want to pay much more especially for a dog like Chance, and no rehoming an adult dog IME is not something anyone should ever take lightly even if the dog had no behavioural problems.
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:48 pm

Good post, Lynda!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:09 pm

Thank you Ella and Eleanor - I was afraid that I would alienate all you lovely people by explaining my very personal viewpoint.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:27 pm

Of course not, Lynda! hug Would be very silly to have a go at you for expressing a different opinion, especially in the Polls/Debates thread! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:35 pm

Course not you daft mare happy hug
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:44 pm

laughing 
daft mare sums me up pretty accurately!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:46 pm

laughing
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:48 pm

laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2