All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Article on 'things that break your dog's spirit' - what do you think?

2 posters

Go down

Article on 'things that break your dog's spirit' - what do you think? Empty Article on 'things that break your dog's spirit' - what do you think?

Post by Eleanor Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:28 pm

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/pets/7-things-destroy-dogs-spirit-172200583.html

I agree with some of them and disagree with others.

I certainly don't agree about the taking food point; avoidance isn't going to teach a dog how to act around food. It's all very well saying, "Oh, but if you never take food away from your dog, he won't need to react aggressively!" What happens if, for some reason, you need to take food away from the dog? For instance, if your dog is attempting to eat something toxic. Or if the dog decides that a child's ice cream is his and the child attempts to take it back? As long as, during the training, the dog knows that he will get the food back after you take it away (or will get something equally nice instead), I don't see the problem.

Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Article on 'things that break your dog's spirit' - what do you think? Empty Re: Article on 'things that break your dog's spirit' - what do you think?

Post by LyndaW Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:34 pm

Interesting, but I totally agree with you about the food taking away thing, for the reasons you list.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Article on 'things that break your dog's spirit' - what do you think? Empty Re: Article on 'things that break your dog's spirit' - what do you think?

Post by Eleanor Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:35 pm

I definitely think it's interesting. happy Just not something I entirely agree with! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down