All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wolf Hybrids

4 posters

Go down

Wolf Hybrids Empty Wolf Hybrids

Post by Shisa Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:35 pm

I'm seeing quite a few adverts lately and this is a 'pet' I feel should be completely banned. People can't care for dogs so how can they care for a wild animal?
This is the only Breed Ban legislation I would support. I've met a few in my time and we had one at training last year. They are not dogs and can't be handled as such.
They also seem to be owned by a certain type of person and it's the completely wrong type.

http://www.gocco.co.za/wolf_hybrids.htm
http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/the-tragedy-of-wolf-dogs
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Wolf Hybrids Empty Re: Wolf Hybrids

Post by Eleanor Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:51 pm

As far as I'm concerned, they are not and should not be regarded as a breed of dog. They're wild animals, despite the cross with the domesticated dog. Do people really believe that one instance of breeding a wolf to a dog will produce a domesticated animal? If they do, they're fools; the domestication of dogs took place over thousands of years from a common ancestor of wolves and dogs. Might as well attempt to breed a human to an Orang-utan and call it tame.

I'm a firm believer that a wild animal should stay wild. What these people are messing with is extremely dangerous. It's wolf instinct mixed with the warped, diluted and twisted instincts of the domesticated dog. That creates a confusion - not just between two separate species, but between wild and domestic instinct. For instance, the hunting instinct of the wolf may clash with the more playful hunting instinct of the dog. What happens when these instincts mesh together in the wrong way? The 'play' gets somebody seriously hurt or killed.

I can't stand it. straight face
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:11 pm

Well said. I feel exactly the same.
As I've said; I've had dealings with them (we had a female 25% wolf mix at training last year) and they are not dogs. They don't act the same, they don't react the same, they don't give of the same cues or body language. You have no idea where you stand or what they're going to do.
They don't understand dog 'language' so don't even get along with other dogs or hybrids. They lead a sad unfair life.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:29 pm

Agreed. It's pitiful to see. Those animals are just riddled with confusion. Humans don't understand them and nor do other dogs; it's a social animal, completely isolated.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm

I absolutely agree with both of you! I love wolves and could watch them for hours, but wolf hybrids or even wolf 'pets' should not be allowed under any circumstances!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:35 pm

Agree. They are beautiful but they shouldn't be kept as pets. People find it difficult enough to read a dogs body language. I saw a programme a couple of years ago with an american woman who worked with wolves and hybrids and remember her saying it was completely different. Then with the hybrids they have no idea which characteristics would be stronger.
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:10 am

I can look at a dog and admire it. I can also look at a wolf and admire it. But when I look at a dog/wolf hybrid, I just pity it. There's always something so lonely and trapped in their expressions.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down