All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dempsey's hose work - Day 3 - got myself bitten

5 posters

Go down

Dempsey's hose work - Day 3 - got myself bitten Empty Dempsey's hose work - Day 3 - got myself bitten

Post by Eleanor Fri May 09, 2014 1:38 pm

We have a tree in our garden which drips sap all over the ground, making it slippery, so I was using a broom and the hose (on a very low setting) to clean it up. I'd done some hose work just before with Dempsey, just to make sure he was okay, and he was fine with it.

I'd been using the hose (low setting) on the ground for a couple of minutes before he started getting stressed, so I stopped. As I went to put the hose away to let him calm down, he went mad over it! He wasn't snarling this time, which surprised me, but he was whining/squealing as he followed me with it.

I wanted to put the hose away and let him settle, but that would have left it on a bad note, so I turned it off and spent the next ten minutes calming him down, then turned it back on to a drip. He was fine with this, so I left it at that and gave him plenty of praise.

He went back into the house and went to sleep. Trouble is, I'd left the broom around the other side of the garden. As I went to get it, he obviously came back downstairs, saw it and flipped his lid. I'd already picked it up and he jumped up to grab it, not realising my hand was there. He then grabbed hold of the broom, snarling and shredding the wood up for a few seconds before I got it away from him. Again, put the broom to the side, let him calm down, then let him see it again - he was okay with this, but didn't want to come too near.

Judging from his severe reaction to the broom, I have a feeling that this was what caused today's outbursts, not the hose. When he was younger, he often used to play-attack the broom when my dad was sweeping up the garden. This was trained out of him, but I think it must have triggered something today.

You win some, you lose some. Although to be honest, I don't particularly see today as a losing situation, but more of a lesson learned. At least I know a bit more about what his limits are and his feelings towards the broom. I'm not going to try desensitising him to the broom at the moment, as I still want to work on the hose work. The broom very rarely comes out, so it isn't an immediate worry.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Dempsey's hose work - Day 3 - got myself bitten Empty Re: Dempsey's hose work - Day 3 - got myself bitten

Post by Shisa Fri May 09, 2014 4:59 pm

With rehabilitation it's often one step forwards and 2 steps back. You'll get there.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Dempsey's hose work - Day 3 - got myself bitten Empty Re: Dempsey's hose work - Day 3 - got myself bitten

Post by Eleanor Fri May 09, 2014 6:20 pm

I'm not worried. I didn't expect it to be an easy road; it'll be worth it in the end. I don't see any reason why it can't be done eventually! happy

Going to make some crisps tomorrow to use as his reward during each session. Low fat, natural, easy and inexpensive! Plus, he loves them!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Fri May 09, 2014 8:07 pm

I've just noticed your posts about the hose work. He is doing well with it only being three days  happy Little steps back are all learning experiences x
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri May 09, 2014 9:08 pm

All something to look back on and laugh at! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Fri May 09, 2014 9:10 pm

laughing that's true. It's a wee bonus.
Caroline
Caroline

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri May 09, 2014 9:33 pm

laughing

As far as I'm concerned, he can't let me down. The way he behaves depends on the way I behave around him. Obviously something about today just pushed him past his comfort zone, which isn't his fault! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri May 09, 2014 9:46 pm

Well you know of course that Dempsey's bite was an accident, so that's one good thing.

I haven't got a hose, but Kuchar goes absolutely bonkers about anything I push around to try to clean a surface, which makes hated household tasks even more of a chore! This also includes the yard broom and if I can manage to shut him inside the house I do.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat May 10, 2014 11:52 am

Definitely an accident, yes! happy Although my wrist disagrees! laughing

Strange, isn't it? I think it's the noise that triggers Dempsey's hatred of the broom.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Sat May 10, 2014 1:39 pm

I've only ever been bitten once (by my own dogs at least.) It was Gus and it was my fault. I hadn't had him long and soon realized he was very reactive to the Staffy next door when they were both in their respective gardens. They would both try to attack the other through the dividing fence. On one occasion I stupidly went to pick Gus up to get him away from the fence and of course he was in the 'red zone' and swivelled around in my arms and bit me in the throat, causing me to have to be rushed off to the doctors. It was a stupid thing to do and I have learned my lesson.

All Buster has even done is accidentally break my finger.
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat May 10, 2014 2:50 pm

Ouch! shocked That must have been painful!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Sat May 10, 2014 10:05 pm

Ooo ouch! Its painful enough when it's on the hand x
Caroline
Caroline

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat May 10, 2014 10:12 pm

Hopefully, I'll live! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Sat May 10, 2014 10:13 pm

laughing 
Caroline
Caroline

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down