All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking of getting a chameleon... Updated - or even a hedgehog! :P

+5
LyndaW
Amber
Caroline
ella
Eleanor
9 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Thinking of getting a chameleon... Updated - or even a hedgehog! :P - Page 3 Empty Thinking of getting a chameleon... Updated - or even a hedgehog! :P

Post by Eleanor Sun May 25, 2014 5:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

Probably only a small one, like a PLC. It's only a little thought buzzing around my head at the moment, as I don't think mum is too keen on the idea! laughing

What ever happens, it definitely won't be for a good while yet. One extra species is good enough for me and I want to focus on my stick insects. happy

Last edited by Eleanor on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Thinking of getting a chameleon... Updated - or even a hedgehog! :P - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of getting a chameleon... Updated - or even a hedgehog! :P

Post by Eleanor Wed May 28, 2014 8:48 pm

Just a bit more affectionate, I hope! tongue

Will definitely post pictures if/when I get one! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Thinking of getting a chameleon... Updated - or even a hedgehog! :P - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of getting a chameleon... Updated - or even a hedgehog! :P

Post by ella Thu May 29, 2014 5:55 am

Well I got Dyson from a breeder and the girls from the APH rescue, if you want one from a baby please do go to a breeder who is registered and make sure you get all their pedigrees and paperwork rather then a petshop happy
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu May 29, 2014 7:57 am

Hedgehogs are probably more affectionate than a lion and won't eat you hahaha..
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu May 29, 2014 10:04 am

I won't be going to a breeder either. happy It'll definitely be a rescue and there's one not too far from us. Usual rule would apply - I'd rescue an adult, as people are more likely to adopt the hoglets than the adults. I'd sooner go without a hedgehog than buy one from a pet shop.

Yeah, I suppose they would be a bit more affectionate than a lion! laughing Darn it, I was considering getting myself a lion as well!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu May 29, 2014 10:53 am

Maybe opt for a Savanna cat.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu May 29, 2014 11:15 am

I'm sure it'd get on very well with Dempsey! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu May 29, 2014 3:44 pm

It'll probably be larger than Dempsey (not heavier) so he might be a bit intimidated LOL.
Google Savanna Cat - I would love one. They're supposedly very dog like.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu May 29, 2014 3:48 pm

I love them too, but would never get one. tongue If Dempsey had any sense, he'd be intimidated, but he's got about as much sense as a gnat.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu May 29, 2014 3:56 pm

HAhahaha... typical Bull Terrier.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Thu May 29, 2014 4:10 pm

Yay for rescuing happy
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu May 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Yes, definitely typical! laughing Although he does have some sense when it comes to foxes!

Rescuing gives you warm fuzzies! love Besides, it'd be my first solo rescue! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu May 29, 2014 7:29 pm

We all need something that's our own.
I'm very happy for you... and jealous. I want one as well!!!!
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu May 29, 2014 9:18 pm

My thoughts exactly! I love to take care of things and got myself a little starting pet(s) with my stickies, but I really would love something I could interact with a little bit more. happy

laughing Well now we're even! You have your amazing views, with lions, cheetahs and God knows what else - I (might) have my hedgehog!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu May 29, 2014 9:48 pm

How are your stickies now Eleanor? They're not very interactive if I remember correctly!

Ella - hedgehogs have pedigrees?! I learn something new every day!

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm

They're doing very well! happy Sticky Bun is about 6cm long now and still growing; Twiggy is about 4cm long, also still growing! Unfortunately, Ivy died shortly after she hatched. sad

Not very interactive, but I'll be able to handle the properly in a few months, when they've finished growing! happy They've calmed down a lot and don't swing themselves from side to side every time I walk past now.

Hedgehogs are surprisingly similar to dogs when it comes to getting one from a breeder! happy Checking for inbreeding, genetic disorders like WHS, making sure they've been weaned, checking the parents, etc..
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu May 29, 2014 10:38 pm

Are your stickies the smooth green ones, or the ones that look like leaves?

Well I'm blowed - I thought hedgehogs were hedgehogs, end of; although I seem to remember that Ella got some special white ones from a breeder.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu May 29, 2014 11:02 pm

They're Indian Stick Insects, the smooth green/brown ones. happy There are hundreds of different types, but sadly most of them wouldn't do too well in our environment.

Hedgehogs are amazing as well! Illegal to keep European Hedgehogs as pets, of course, but the APH come in so many different colours! Some really striking ones. happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu May 29, 2014 11:15 pm

I had the smooth green ones when I was young. I did get a "leafy" one from someone, but can't remember anything about it (it was a long time ago!)

I didn't know it is illegal to keep ordinary hedgehogs as pets, the second thing I've learned today.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu May 29, 2014 11:55 pm

Leaf insects can fly, so it'd be a pain in the neck, having to keep track of them! laughing

Sadly, they're a protected species. sad Poor things have severely declined.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Fri May 30, 2014 12:07 am

oh, what ever happened to your stickies/
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Fri May 30, 2014 10:31 am

LyndaW wrote:How are your stickies now Eleanor?  They're not very interactive if I remember correctly!

I had no idea about that either. Or that it was illegal to keep european ones.
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri May 30, 2014 10:49 am

Hayley wrote:oh, what ever happened to your stickies/

Sticky Bun and Twiggy are doing great! happy Growing bigger and bigger!

Caroline wrote:
LyndaW wrote:How are your stickies now Eleanor?  They're not very interactive if I remember correctly!

I had no idea about that either. Or that it was illegal to keep european ones.

If you get caught with one as a pet, you can be prosecuted! They're a protected species, so it's somewhat frowned upon! tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Fri May 30, 2014 3:44 pm

yes hedgehogs have pedigrees, it was set up quite a few years ago, to try and ensure only good breeders are breeding for health of the hedgies as they can suffer from wobbly hedgehog syndrome which is genetic and incurable currently (along with other health problems)

I was vetted thoroughly when we bought and rescued our hedgies as they were for pet only homes
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri May 30, 2014 10:15 pm

Still get the nasties selling them on Gumtree, Pets 4 Homes and Preloved though. sad

Ella, when you got your rescues from the APH Rescue, did they do a house check? Only asking so that I know whether or not certain precautions would need to be taken with Demps! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Sat May 31, 2014 5:46 am

No, no home check I did however had an 'interview' online to begin with and then we had to go to the rescue to meet face to face before we could get one and had to prove our knowledge happy
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next