All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stick insect update - getting huge and finally managed to get them out of the enclosure! Plus, major scare! (pics)

+2
LyndaW
Eleanor
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Stick insect update - getting huge and finally managed to get them out of the enclosure! Plus, major scare! (pics) - Page 2 Empty Stick insect update - getting huge and finally managed to get them out of the enclosure! Plus, major scare! (pics)

Post by Eleanor Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

They've been taking it in turns to shed, so I hadn't been able to take either one out for long enough to get a decent picture. Finally managed it yesterday! happy This is Twiglet:

Stick insect update - getting huge and finally managed to get them out of the enclosure! Plus, major scare! (pics) - Page 2 Temporary_zps0d529042
Stick insect update - getting huge and finally managed to get them out of the enclosure! Plus, major scare! (pics) - Page 2 Temporary_zps48f0fe4d

I had her running up and down my arm, but couldn't get a picture because she was so quick! laughing

To give an idea of size, that ivy leaf was about seven centimetres. I couldn't get her to hold still for long enough for me to measure her. tongue

When I tried to get Sticky Bun out afterwards, I noticed she was laying on the bottom of the enclosure, rigid, legs pressed flat against her body. When I picked her up, she just rolled about in my hand. I was so upset, as I thought she was dead! Put her down on my bed and the crafty sticky got up and tried to scamper off!

I'd heard that they'll play dead, but they've never done it before! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Stick insect update - getting huge and finally managed to get them out of the enclosure! Plus, major scare! (pics) - Page 2 Empty Re: Stick insect update - getting huge and finally managed to get them out of the enclosure! Plus, major scare! (pics)

Post by Eleanor Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Nature is so full of surprises happy I love watching the documentaries - especially David Attenborough ones!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Stick insect update - getting huge and finally managed to get them out of the enclosure! Plus, major scare! (pics) - Page 2 Empty Re: Stick insect update - getting huge and finally managed to get them out of the enclosure! Plus, major scare! (pics)

Post by tracyp Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:56 am

I LOVE STICKIES! I had them yrs ago.
They sit very still, swaying... but move like the wind when they want or need to. Oh they do play dead. Then scamper off when the threat, perceived or real is gone.

Beautiful creatures.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:59 am

LyndaW wrote:Well I'm flabbergasted.  for the second time today.  Immaculate conception in stick insects - whatever next.  You're never too old to learn that's for sure.

There are a few species that do not need a male to reproduce.  But most only produce females.

An excerpt....
Parthenogenesis /ˌpɑrθənoʊˈdʒɛnəsɨs/ is a form of asexual reproduction in which growth and development of embryos occur without fertilization. In animals, parthenogenesis means development of an embryo from an unfertilized egg cell and is a component process of apomixis.
Parthenogenesis occurs naturally in many plants, some invertebrate animal species (including nematodes, water fleas, some scorpions, aphids, some bees, some Phasmida and parasitic wasps) and a few vertebrates (such as some fish,[2] amphibians, reptiles and very rarely birds). This type of reproduction has been induced artificially in a few species including fish and amphibians.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:08 pm

These little buggers never sit still! Right from when they first hatched, they'd rock violently from side to side whenever somebody walked past, then scuttle off. tongue

I love them though love They're my babies!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:50 pm

Thank you for the biology lesson Tracy!

The last time I was this flabbergasted (biology-wise) was when it had to proved to me (I wouldn't believe it otherwise) that some fish produce live young - actually give birth to them!  shocked 
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:54 pm

Some sharks do that! happy The youngest shark attack ever happened when a man had his hand up a shark's (Tiger shark, I think) birthing canal and the embryo bit him.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:23 pm

Sharks I could just about understand (adders do it too, I believe) - but these were little tropical fish. I just couldn't believe it - it was like being told black was white.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:36 pm

laughing Whenever somebody mentions tropical fish, I always think of all the fish in Finding Nemo. tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:58 pm

I've never had the pleasure of seeing that film, but I did see my work-colleague's wonderful aquaria (she had more than one and obviously knew her stuff) so I should have believed her straight off, but just couldn't bring myself to do so!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:54 pm

tongue And who ever said learning isn't fun?
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:34 am

Eleanor wrote:tongue And who ever said learning isn't fun?

I don't know, but they were wrong!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:36 am

Nature never ceases to surprise us. There is always another something to find out.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:36 pm

I don't think humans will ever know all there is to know about nature. And I'm glad - some things are better as mysteries!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2