All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad Habits allowed

4 posters

Go down

Bad Habits allowed Empty Bad Habits allowed

Post by Shisa Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:30 am

What things that would be considered 'bad habits/manners/training' do you allow your dogs? The wrong things that don't really bother you.

Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Bad Habits allowed Empty Re: Bad Habits allowed

Post by Shisa Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:30 am

I pick up my puppies and allow them to sleep in my arms whenever they want to. They mostly outgrow it over time so I take what I can get while they're babies.
I allow my dogs to run out of doors before me but not off the property before me.
Sometimes feed them scraps from my plate but only after taking the plate to the kitchen. I will also give them crusts etc that I trim while cooking.
I allow my dogs to walk infront of me when on lead. They're not allowed to pull but can walk where they want on the length of the lead. Training is training and walking is fun.
At the end of playing a retrieve game I allow them to win and run off with the toy to chew it for a bit.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:04 am

I let mine jump up on me when I get home as they are so excited, & I do let them have the trimmings when I cut up our meat to cook.

Tyson always wins a game of "fetch". One thing I have never been able to teach him is "bring" damn dog just doesn't get it. All others of mine were great with bring, but him??? shocked Tyson drops it at your feet occassionally, I throw it for him.... 9/10x's he gets it & buggers off with it!

Jess I let "pat me & chew my chin". It's a pretty rough pat (constant whacks really) & her chin nibble is like a beaver eating your face off, but I know she is trying to show love & affection. love
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:27 am

Actually nice to hear these things.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:29 am

Demps is allowed to stare at people while they eat, as much as it irritates the heck out of me. Tried putting him into the 'down' position, but the two men of the house refuse to reinforce it, so it only confuses him.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:43 am

Oh I get your frustration. Mine must "go away" from us at dinner time as I won't have a dog "under my feet, staring at me, beside me or begging" while i eat, but my man also encourages them, thinking it's cute. But they know he is not the boss & move away when told. disapprove

They sit aside till called... then they can have a treat twice a week of meat or gravey, but not before being invited to.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:32 pm

Are you sure it's that the men encourage it? (Although in my experience they try their damnedest to undo any training at all). In my house its the man that gets watched whilst eating because he's a messy b****r and they know they'll get crumbs!

I have times for strictness, and times for relaxing that, and they seem to understand the difference between the two. I'll happily open a door to let them go through first (but not if they're on lead), or give tidbits when doing stuff in the kitchen, Morgan always steals a bit of the food I prepare for the rabbits and guinea pigs - I do draw the line at them eating from my plate, if there are left-overs it goes in their bowl, but I do let them lick my fingers if I've been eating something sticky.
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:12 pm

I also always have discipline.
Mine will, with every meal, try and sit around me staring but I just draw in a sharp breath and say 'Are you looking at me?' and the disappear. If there's left overs I share it into 8 and they all get their portion in the kitchen - by age.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:30 pm

Oh, it's definitely the men! Demps is extremely orally fixated and, without fail, will get food off of the plates of the men. No matter how many glares and snaps they get from the women. laughing

I don't allow Dempsey to sneak forwards and sniff my plate, but it's a regular occurrence with dad. tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:48 am

Lorraine wrote:Are you sure it's that the men encourage it?  (Although in my experience they try their damnedest to undo any training at all).  In my house its the man that gets watched whilst eating because he's a messy b****r and they know they'll get crumbs!

I have times for strictness, and times for relaxing that, and they seem to understand the difference between the two.  I'll happily open a door to let them go through first (but not if they're on lead), or give tidbits when doing stuff in the kitchen, Morgan always steals a bit of the food I prepare for the rabbits and guinea pigs - I do draw the line at them eating from my plate, if there are left-overs it goes in their bowl, but I do let them lick my fingers if I've been eating something sticky.

I'm sure! He tries his best to undo all my hard work training. He even tells them "no" for something & them pats them as a reward for NOT doing what they were told in the 1st place.

Same here, there's time to play & do whatever you want but they also know when it's time to behave.

Mine know as soon as I say, "go away" they will only get a treat from my dinner if they go away till we finish eating. rolling on floor

I also feed, collar, walk, greet, play, etc by age. Poor Tyson is always second in everything, bar my love. hug
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:39 pm

Demps very rarely attempts to have a sniff at my plate, probably because he knows he isn't going to get anything from it. On the odd occasion that he does have a sneaky sniffle, he gets corrected and then wanders off to one of the men instead. I won't ever tolerate a dog taking food from a plate without permission; one thing he does know is that he doesn't eat from a plate unless it's on the floor and he's been given permission to do so.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down