All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad crufts

+3
Eleanor
Lorraine
Hayley
7 posters

Go down

Bad crufts Empty Bad crufts

Post by Hayley Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:55 pm

As usual it all comes out at the end. Crufts victims this year; one poisoned, one mishandled and one beat the **** out of.

It happens in all walks of life but it really shouldn't.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Bad crufts Empty Re: Bad crufts

Post by Lorraine Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:12 pm

Shame that the good is outweighed by the bad sad
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:21 pm

It really is a shame. sad I don't blame Crufts for the poisoning incident, as that honestly could have been anybody - most likely somebody who hates pedigree dogs or just dogs in general. I really wish they'd cracked down on the handling of the Scotty, though. I cringed when mum and I were watching that part.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Apparently they did say but she didn't listen. At that point they should have eliminated her.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:48 am

Why, though, when many other handlers at the show were doing exactly the same thing? The only difference is that this one was caught on camera.

I'm not excusing it, it shouldn't happen, but it's only been frowned upon in this country for a couple of years and is normal practice in most other countries. It must be easy to fall into old habits at a huge event like that, with a large live audience and tv cameras beaming your performance around the world.

Why take away the win when, after all, it's the dog that won, and she was just the human handler? Surely a better idea would be to insist that she undergo some modern show handling training before she is allowed to handle again in this country?
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:49 pm

Unfortunately in showing the handler makes the animal. Many a good horse has been banned from showing here because of the handlers attitude.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:50 pm

Hayley wrote:Unfortunately in showing the handler makes the animal.

That's how I remember showing, too, unfortunately. We "little" people often used to joke that the judge was looking at the wrong end of the lead!

Ref the Scottie handling - I always remember little dogs whose coats mustn't be dishevelled being lifted onto the table by their tails and necks and didn't know it was frowned on now.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:42 am

Hayley wrote:Unfortunately in showing the handler makes the animal. Many a good horse has been banned from showing here because of the handlers attitude.

In dog showing the handler may well be banned, but the dog won't.

I read an article yesterday about the incident and believe it or not, the RSPCA don't consider what she did as cruelty. It said a lot more, but I can't find the article now. sad
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:42 pm

I don't believe it was cruel either tbh. but i don't think that it was good showmanship and i don't think she should have been allowed to continue showing
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:18 pm

What about all the small dogs that are shown on a thin slip lead, strung up to make them look 'smarter'? That, to me, is worse.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:15 am

I have to say, I've always been uncomfortable about the slip lead handling, but after an excellent workshop with Sarah Fisher over the weekend, I'm even more uncomfortable about it now. The hyoid apparatus is just at the point where all the pressure is from a lead being held up so high, this is the area that holds the larynx in place and supports the pharynx and tongue. It is irreparable once broken, and made of cartilage, holding small bones in place.

Hopefully you can see it on this image:
Bad crufts Mva31030
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:52 am

Lorraine wrote:I have to say, I've always been uncomfortable about the slip lead handling, but after an excellent workshop with Sarah Fisher over the weekend, I'm even more uncomfortable about it now.  The hyoid apparatus is just at the point where all the pressure is from a lead being held up so high, this is the area that holds the larynx in place and supports the pharynx and tongue.  It is irreparable once broken, and made of cartilage, holding small bones in place.

Hopefully you can see it on this image:
Bad crufts Mva31030

thumbs up
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:12 pm

Yeah small leads are bad. Lexi would never tolerate one if she feels anything on her neck she gags and splutters lol
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:06 am

The dogs are only picked up and put down that way not to muss up their hair. Totally unnatural. Besides the pressure on the neck, the tail is pulled the wrong way - upwards and to the head - as the weight bears down.
Pulling a dog from a tunnel by it's tail, the tail is still straight and more alined with the back.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:21 pm

I agree that it's wrong, but to me it's no more wrong than stringing them up on the move. Plus, of course, it was accepted practice until very recently - it's going to take a while for people to change their mindset.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:10 pm

Hmmmm, I have no comment, I haven't actually seen the footage. I am not a fan of dog shows nor the owners that treat their charges as a piece of meat.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:50 am

Caryll wrote:I agree that it's wrong, but to me it's no more wrong than stringing them up on the move. Plus, of course, it was accepted practice until very recently - it's going to take a while for people to change their mindset.

And the unnatural positions they're forced to stand in.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:14 am

Shisa wrote:
Caryll wrote:I agree that it's wrong, but to me it's no more wrong than stringing them up on the move. Plus, of course, it was accepted practice until very recently - it's going to take a while for people to change their mindset.

And the unnatural positions they're forced to stand in.

Most breeds nowadays are stood in a more natural position. There are exceptions of course - the GSD for one, although the position isn't an uncomfortable one. The toy breeds seem to be the worst.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down