All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PETA has a dig at crufts

4 posters

Go down

PETA has a dig at crufts Empty PETA has a dig at crufts

Post by ella Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:07 pm

ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

PETA has a dig at crufts Empty Re: PETA has a dig at crufts

Post by Eleanor Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:23 pm

Not surprised! This is where I have the problem with PETA - very good with animal welfare, but it's all black and white to them. I'd have far more respect for their work if they'd give the honest facts, rather than biased opinions.

They're right in saying that numerous dog breeds have terrible health problems, but what they don't realise is that telling people not to buy from breeders is pretty much condemning the entire breeds, as the lines will basically die out, causing inbreeding and even more health problems. The problem needs to be addressed by gradually altering the health-threatening aspects of those breeds through careful selective breeding.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:41 am

At the risk of being argumentative, I'm afraid that I can't help agreeing with a lot of what PETA has said here about the exaggeration of desirable breed points in many dogs.

The English Bulldog is probably the best known as a breed that has gone seriously wrong in the search of excellence to breed standard, and I would include here all those breeds whose noses have got further and further squished into their heads to the point where they find it hard to breathe.

I could go on for reams and reams about other breeds whose conformation I feel have been exaggerated to the detriment of the dog, and I honestly feel that it is up to the judges in show classes NOT to encourage over-exaggeration of "breed-type".

Sorry to be controversial

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:46 am

I agree with what breeding has done to certain breeds, but i will never support PETA and what they have actually done
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:59 am

I'm not a PETA supporter either, it's just this particular article that chimed with me in many respects (I love Crufts though!)
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:01 am

Definitely they putting across a good point, but as usual in their OTT dramatic style
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:57 pm

Coincidentally, I was speaking to an English Bulldog breeder at Crufts earlier. She said that the bulldogs are actually being worked on and, since 2007, have shown great improvements in some of the more problematic areas - the tail and respiratory tract in particular. The corkscrew tail is being bred out, as shown by her own dog, and the muzzle is slowly being lengthened again. The nostrils are also becoming wider to allow easier breathing.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:35 pm

that's great news happy
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:12 pm

PETA have made themselves into a joke tbh. I'm all for animal welfare but those guys are just crazy.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:34 pm

Yeah, I was impressed! Compared to English Bulldogs from a few years ago, this dog was looking very fit and healthy. The nose was still turned up obviously, but the nostrils were a lot wider, his breathing wasn't laboured (even though he was all riled up about the scent of a bitch in heat) and his tail was straight. Also very mobile and agile.

That's the trouble with PETA. They do a great job but are often very over the top, which, like you said, has made them into the punch line of a joke.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down