All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sorry I've not been on much - busy being bitten again!

+2
Lorraine
Eleanor
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sorry I've not been on much - busy being bitten again! - Page 2 Empty Sorry I've not been on much - busy being bitten again!

Post by Eleanor Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

I swear, every animal I've come into contact with over the last two weeks has bitten or otherwise tried to maim me me! Gnawed by a very mouthy working Gordon Setter, pecked by an angry chicken, nibbled by a degu, clawed by the pub cat, kicked by a New Zealand White rabbit, among others.

The rabbit was absolutely lovely, though. Virtually blind, even for an albino, as she was used for cosmetics testing before she arrived on site. Also very big girl, at 13 lbs! I had to use both of my arms to support her; even then, she was making my arms ache after a minute! But she was very friendly, cuddly and warm. I'd been sitting on my bum in a muddy chicken enclosure all morning, with the temperature only one or two degrees above freezing - pouring with rain and windy! Could hardly feel my fingers! tongue So it was very nice to take some time off to cuddle a rabbit, even if she did play Thumper on my lap.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Sorry I've not been on much - busy being bitten again! - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorry I've not been on much - busy being bitten again!

Post by Eleanor Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:23 pm

Except it's an entirely different situation, isn't it? With entirely different legislation, chickens, climate, parasites, etc.. I highly doubt a university, which has received numerous awards for high quality animal care, has gotten it that far wrong either. This isn't a farm. It's a centre for rescue and education and would not be able to keep that status without strictly adhering to said legislation.

I don't really see the need to be getting snippy about it, when I've not criticised the way you, or anybody else, cares for their chickens; you're the one who was criticising.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Sorry I've not been on much - busy being bitten again! - Page 2 Empty Re: Sorry I've not been on much - busy being bitten again!

Post by tracyp Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:05 pm

I wasn't being "snippy"? (I assume that means nasty) I just happen not to agree with you on this, thats all.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:29 pm

Let's agree to disagree. The laws in the UK are worded in such a way as to ensure that animals must either be treated with conventional medicines or with tested and approved natural/homeopathic remedies. As far as I'm aware (& i may well be wrong) there have been no approvals for the use of lavender in the treatment of mites.

However, this thread wasn't about that so let's get back on track! wink
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:40 am

You were a bit snippy Tracy tongue And don't feel offended, relax. We all have different ideas and systems.

A friend of mine mixes in some diatomaceous earth in her chickens dust 'baths'. Swears by it.

Last edited by Shisa on Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:43 am

Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:45 am

Well I didnt mean to be "snippy". I shall refrain from commenting in the future unless I agree, or keep it to, ohhh, nice, lovely etc. Sorry to everyone that I upset by having an opinion that differed. hug
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:51 am

Now don't be sarcastic. If you want your opinion and views respected, you have to do the same in return. Again - relax, we're all friends dog4
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:52 am

Exactly! Works both ways.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:53 am

I did not comment on ea countys laws, only a method of treatment. I won't comment further.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:57 am

Tracy, that's silly. Your opinions are welcome & respected, just please respect other opinions as well & understand that there are different laws etc in different countries! What's allowable in Australia may not be allowable in the UK/USA/Africa etc & vice versa.

There was no disrespect of your opinion, but just comments that things are different here.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:32 pm

Shisa wrote:

A friend of mine mixes in some diatomaceous earth in her chickens dust 'baths'. Swears by it.

I do this too. happy
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:42 pm

Caryll wrote:Tracy, that's silly. Your opinions are welcome & respected, just please respect other opinions as well & understand that there are different laws etc in different countries! What's allowable in Australia may not be allowable in the UK/USA/Africa etc & vice versa.

There was no disrespect of your opinion, but just comments that things are different here.

It's always good to exchange opinions and points of view and I would hate to see that change.

The written word is so often open to misinterpretations, I have often gotten myself into trouble with my "tongue in cheek" written words (one of my sagas regarding a pint of milk available upon request!)

group hug
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:39 pm

Lynda! You have to tell us that story!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:05 pm

Caryll wrote:Lynda! You have to tell us that story!

Well ..... About 15 years ago now I was working in a company that very kindly provided coffee, tea and milk for us to make our own cuppas. Early one afternoon the milk had run out, so I offered to pop out and get some more. "Don't worry" said the MD's secretary, let's call her Freda, "I'm just going out to sign up at a Cash and Carry, I'll bring some back."

About 2.30 pm I left a note on her desk "2.30. Please ring me when you're back so we can have a cuppatea!" 3pm and 3.30pm I added to the note (with times) requesting a call as soon as the milk arrived. 4pm I added to the note "4pm Please bring the milk, we are dying of thirst here!". 4.30pm (half an hour before knocking off time) I added to the note "4.30. Don't worry. We died!"

Next morning the poo hit the fan. Freda had shown my note to the MD and I was now considered dangerous, the cheeky git of the company. In vain did I protest that I wasn't being subversive, just suffering from thirst and a (obviously warped) sense of humour. I was gob-smacked as I never intended my notes to be taken "that way" as after all Freda and I were friends.

I've never forgotten how my written words were misinterpreted and have since tried to think twice before writing irrecoverably anything down (especially when I have my sense-of-fun hat on as it just does not come through, apparently), but I still get it wrong sometimes!

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:32 pm

rolling on floor rolling on floor

Lynda, I love your stories - you should write a book about them!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:33 pm

Eleanor says it should be called "Lynda's Laughs".
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:24 pm

So glad to oblige with a laugh, ma'ams!

Serious face on - it did teach me a lesson silly
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:57 pm

LyndaW wrote:
Caryll wrote:Lynda! You have to tell us that story!

Well ..... About 15 years ago now I was working in a company that very kindly provided coffee, tea and milk for us to make our own cuppas.  Early one afternoon the milk had run out, so I offered to pop out and get some more.  "Don't worry" said the MD's secretary, let's call her Freda, "I'm just going out to sign up at a Cash and Carry, I'll bring some back."

About 2.30 pm I left a note on her desk "2.30. Please ring me when you're back so we can have a cuppatea!"  3pm and 3.30pm I added to the note  (with times) requesting a call as soon as the milk arrived.  4pm I added to the note "4pm Please bring the milk, we are dying of thirst here!".  4.30pm (half an hour before knocking off time) I added to the note "4.30.  Don't worry. We died!"

Next morning the poo hit the fan.  Freda had shown my note to the MD and I was now considered dangerous, the cheeky git of the company.  In vain did I protest that I wasn't being subversive, just suffering from thirst and a (obviously warped) sense of humour.  I was gob-smacked as I never intended my notes to be taken "that way" as after all Freda and I were friends.

I've never forgotten how my written words were misinterpreted and have since tried to think twice before writing irrecoverably anything down (especially when I have my sense-of-fun hat on as it just does not come through, apparently), but I still get it wrong sometimes!

hug
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:28 am

group hug
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:19 am

LyndaW wrote:group hug

group hug
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:15 am

If it had been me you'd had a little gravestone and flowers on your desk the next day tongue
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:23 am

laughing laughing
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:50 pm

Shisa wrote:If it had been me you'd had a little gravestone and flowers on your desk the next day tongue

See how easy it is for me to put my foot in it!

As it was, I nearly got my P45!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2